What are these little dots on my fish?

noobreefer101

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aerator that pumps bubbles into my wave maker so I’m thinking maybe they might be tiny bubbles but if anyone has any idea or possible symptoms it might be from a disease or parasite please let me know.. also I have a bottle of ruby reef rally pro and ruby reef kick ich just in case is it better to take the fish out one by one and bath them in a separate bucket or just just it in the tank?
Ps. The fish seem to be behaving just fine I just can’t tell what these are and it’s making me pretty worried.

IMG_1859.jpeg
 
To me, if none of those dots are on the glass, looks like ick to me. Hard to tell numbers, some pods on the glass I think as well.

Only Coppersafe or Hyposalinity is known to treat that in a separate environment and allowing the DT to have no fish friends for 70 ish days. You can elevate temp and lower days to 45, but read up on that firstly. I don’t change temp.

Never once have I seen any definite proof that Ruby Rally worked. If so, they would be rich rich rich. That goes for kick-ick, ick-be-gone.

But wait till one of the disease experts chimes in.
I am certainly no expert by far, but seen a ton of dots over time.

Gentlemen @vetteguy53081 and/or @Jay Hemdal
Can you guys help…
 
Last edited:
Does appear to be ich. were any of the fish treated before entering the system?
 
Does appear to be ich. were any of the fish treated before entering the system?
With that, you should remove any fish to separate tank for treatment.

But I’d stick with copper product or Hyposalinity at 1.009,have a read up on these treatments in the section.
 
To me, if none of those dots are on the glass, looks like ick to me. Hard to tell numbers, some pods on the glass I think as well.

Only Coppersafe or Hyposalinity is known to treat that in a separate environment and allowing the DT to have no fish friends for 70 ish days. You can elevate temp and lower days to 45, but read up on that firstly. I don’t change temp.

Never once have I seen any definite proof that Ruby Rally worked. If so, they would be rich rich rich. That goes for kick-ick, ick-be-gone.

But wait till one of the disease experts chimes in.
I am certainly no expert by far, but seen a ton of dots over time.

Gentlemen @vetteguy53081 and/or @Jay Hemdal
Can you guys help…
Hey thanks for the response I actually realized that it’s tail is floating to the top pretty rapidly could this help identifying what it might be?
 
With that, you should remove any fish to separate tank for treatment.

But I’d stick with copper product or Hyposalinity at 1.009,have a read up on these treatments in the section.
How long should I leave them out of the tank and in the hypo salinity and copper?
 
How long should I leave them out of the tank and in the hypo salinity and copper?
In a QT, I use Hypo at 1.009 for my clown. Doesn’t work well on all fish.

Took 1 week for dots to totally disappear and I went for 2 more weeks, still no dots, last week I moved salinity up only .002 per day until back at 1.025.

Total was 30 days, in which the last 24 he was clean.

If I understand correctly, the low salinity screws with the parasites ability to process water and basically explodes itself.

But the DT had to go without fish for 70 ish days or at least, that’s how long I left it. But I did add corals and stuff (anything but fish) so that kinda helped while I waited for the cycle to be broken, and the parasite die out.
 
Last edited:
In a QT, I use Hypo at 1.009 for my clown. Doesn’t work well on all fish.

Took 1 week for dots to totally disappear and I went for 2 more weeks, still no dots, last week I moved salinity up only .002 per day until back at 1.025.

Total was 30 days, in which the last 24 he was clean.

If I understand correctly, the low salinity screws with the parasites ability to process water and basically explodes itself.

But the DT had to go without fish for 70 ish days or at least, that’s how long I left it. But I did add corals and stuff (anything but fish) so that kinda helped while I waited for the cycle to be broken, and the parasite die out.
Ok cool thanks and you think it’s ich right?
 
In a QT, I use Hypo at 1.009 for my clown. Doesn’t work well on all fish.

Took 1 week for dots to totally disappear and I went for 2 more weeks, still no dots, last week I moved salinity up only .002 per day until back at 1.025.

Total was 30 days, in which the last 24 he was clean.

If I understand correctly, the low salinity screws with the parasites ability to process water and basically explodes itself.

But the DT had to go without fish for 70 ish days or at least, that’s how long I left it. But I did add corals and stuff (anything but fish) so that kinda helped while I waited for the cycle to be broken, and the parasite die out.
He’s had the dots for like 3 days now and is swimming a little slowly and his tail rises up sometimes when he stops swimming like he has a swim blatter issue or something it’s just hard to tell between clownfish disease and ich
 
In a QT, I use Hypo at 1.009 for my clown. Doesn’t work well on all fish.

Took 1 week for dots to totally disappear and I went for 2 more weeks, still no dots, last week I moved salinity up only .002 per day until back at 1.025.

Total was 30 days, in which the last 24 he was clean.

If I understand correctly, the low salinity screws with the parasites ability to process water and basically explodes itself.

But the DT had to go without fish for 70 ish days or at least, that’s how long I left it. But I did add corals and stuff (anything but fish) so that kinda helped while I waited for the cycle to be broken, and the parasite die out.
He’s opening a closing his mouth pretty fast too
 
He’s had the dots for like 3 days now and is swimming a little slowly and his tail rises up sometimes when he stops swimming like he has a swim blatter issue or something it’s just hard to tell between clownfish disease and ich
It does look like at least, some ick.
It will weaken him slowly and labour his respiration. Likely will stop eating.

If he has other issues, I can tell by what I can see posted.

Hypo ONLY addresses ick, so if its more than ick, hypo won’t work.

Then you may need copper based treatment regime.

I’m sure a moderator will chime in.
Better to always follow them, disease can be a bit tricky.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new