What are these little white spirals!?!?

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I am new, tank is new 6 months at best. Dealing with Ammon issues at the moment (SOmething died and it went to .25 and I lost three fish.) I have TONS of little white spots stuck to the glass (Along with a nice growth of Coralline algae) All over the back and sides. MY LFS said it was Calcium cause I dose and the tank is new. upon CLOSER inspection they are tiny and almost ALL of them are spiral shaped. DO I NEED TO BE WORRIED?
Thanks

I NEVER want to stop learning!!!

Please remember that we are a family friendly forum and word your titles accordingly. Thank you :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a type of snail type thing I think.. I had them when i first started my Solana. They were all over. I scraped off glass and i havent seen em in a LONG time

OP
OP
pmgaudio

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Salty thanks. I have the crappy PAS camera and have absolutely NO MACRO features to get a pic of these tiny things.
I Am guessing they are not a BAD thing and eventually I should even start seeing more of those tiny little Stars too. I have seen one or two in the last few months. I hope MORE chime in, I am curious about these. if they are bad or something toxic to move I ain't scraping 'em!!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be microstars or snail eggs, hard to guess based on the description. Never seen calcium deposits form inside the tank in the water column on the glass myself.

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank

A quick thing that comes to my mind is that your doing calcium dosing, is your tank heavily stocked with corals? otherwise you probably dont need to dose quite yet assuming all your corals are frag. And without a pic its really hard to say what the little white things are.

OP
OP
pmgaudio

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing Tech CB (or when I run out, DIY Ca and ALK-- Prestone Heat, and baking soda, WAY WAY cheaper and works FANTASTIC)) To keep my levels in a high state to grow corals. Read A LOT of Red Sea literature. So to maintain 465CA and 10- 11 KH and 1300+ mag will greatly improve my coral growth. and yes my tank is kinda loaded. Small frags to big hammers and Frog spawn. giant colony of AOG . and my LFS kid is helping me along VERY well. so yes I dose my 29 Gallon MR every day. and test every three. 20% WC every Sunday. and I started Red sea> NO PO x two weeks ago and my nitrates are now less than 5 from 20-25... BEST STUFF EVER! better than chemi pure! Now I am treating my tank with an all natural treatment for what I think might have been ich (Lost the fish that showed signs) On the advise of yet ANOTHER knowledgeable :LFS lady, Reef safe and she has had GREAT SUCCESS with it. so in ten days the skimmer goes back on, the NO PO x goes back to its dosing and everything will be fine once again. I cant post pics cause the files are too big, I will try and use an offsite pic site to put them on.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150123068064763.294614.529109762

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are some kind of tiny spiral creature (technical science term), I don't think they move around. When I get close as I can I can barely tell they are spiral shaped. I'll have to take a macro shot.

I have to clean them off my front and side glass every week. They seem to populate very fast, dunno where they come from.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.7%
Back