What are these on my leather

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get these of my new leather what are they I don’t think ther moving and they got like a slime around them
IMG_4659.jpeg
IMG_4658.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive colonial tunicates and an orange sponge - the sponge is most likely harmless (see the quote below); the tunicates, however, are likely a threat.

Invasive colonial tunicates have been known to grow over and smother corals, so I'd definitely remove them. If you want to keep them, I'd suggest putting them on an isolated rock where you can easily control their spread.
Yeah, that's definitely a sponge. Most sponges are completely harmless/beneficial, but some can be invasive and/or harmful to corals (thankfully, these are rare).

To tell if a sponge is chemically harmful: if a healthy, established coral starts closing up or looking to be in bad shape on the side closest to the sponge as the sponge grows closer to it, and nothing else has happened (lighting changes, parameter swings, pests, etc.) that could explain it, then the sponge is probably chemically harmful.

Chemically harmful sponges are very rare.

For invasive sponges: unless it shows signs of being chemically harmful or starts actively growing over and smothering a coral's flesh/polyps, it's harmless. These can grow over the skeletons of corals, around the base/stalks of corals, even up into the water column above corals (where they're over the coral but not growing on the flesh or polyps themselves), etc. without harming the coral at all - as long as the coral flesh and polyps can get food, light, and flow, the sponge is harmless.

Invasive sponges are moderately rare.

Invasive and chemically harmful sponges are incredibly rare.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive colonial tunicates and an orange sponge - the sponge is most likely harmless (see the quote below); the tunicates, however, are likely a threat.

Invasive colonial tunicates have been known to grow over and smother corals, so I'd definitely remove them. If you want to keep them, I'd suggest putting them on an isolated rock where you can easily control their spread.
I got most of them of ther are not loving and Thers a film all over them so I was like ther not flatworms I added the coral in and got as much as I could off

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back