What are these particles?

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the tank for a while now and I don't recall all of these tiny little particles. I have started to dose vibrant aquarium cleaner from a pretty dirty tank. Are the specks possibly dead algae waiting on o get filtered out? Is there any way to remove the specks? They are driving me insane. Are they harmful?

Picture at night with light to see the what I am talking about.

17075345040437706659933842230670.jpg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, and others may advise you better, but I would say slap yourself out of happiness, you have 'pods! What you are seeing, I believe, are very tiny crustations called copepods and amphipods, and sometimes collectively referred to as 'pods. These are absolutely beneficial animals that will establish themselves in your aquarium, feed on detritus and nuisance algae, and feed your future fish. These critters are a good sign, and a very good indication that your tank is maturing. Watch very closely a group of those little white spots on your glass. You'll see some of them obviously moving around. Again, congrats, your tank is maturing :)

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, and others may advise you better, but I would say slap yourself out of happiness, you have 'pods! What you are seeing, I believe, are very tiny crustations called copepods and amphipods, and sometimes collectively referred to as 'pods. These are absolutely beneficial animals that will establish themselves in your aquarium, feed on detritus and nuisance algae, and feed your future fish. These critters are a good sign, and a very good indication that your tank is maturing. Watch very closely a group of those little white spots on your glass. You'll see some of them obviously moving around.
Well I'm so happy to hear the tank is maturing but, will they ever go away? If it is pods, the're is a TON of them and it is kinda an eyesore.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol hate to tell ya 80% of tanks have random bits floatin through them, could be hundreds of things, copepods, something spawning, disloged bacteria, sand dust, detritus getting picked up. The list goes on and on!

Usually only visible if you shine a light on your tank at a weird angle.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm so happy to hear the tank is maturing but, will they ever go away? If it is pods, the're is a TON of them and it is kinda an eyesore.
You can change your filtration and/or add a power filter to the display temporarily...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back