What are these round, donut like shapes ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing sodium silicate for 4-5 weeks to get rid of prorocentrum dinos. I haven’t seen any in the sand for a while so today I checked under the microscope.

I couldn’t find a single dino in 3 slides (maybe a single one) but I noticed a few tiny specs flying up and down and some other worm looking things eating the dark spots. Which I figure are good micro organisms.

I also saw many perfectly round spots that look like donuts and I am curious what they are. You can see them in the blue rectangles. Also an example of a large dark spot that I presume is a clump of diatoms.

Tank is 2 years old. Any idea what those are ?

IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1889.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing sodium silicate for 4-5 weeks to get rid of prorocentrum dinos. I haven’t seen any in the sand for a while so today I checked under the microscope.

I couldn’t find a single dino in 3 slides (maybe a single one) but I noticed a few tiny specs flying up and down and some other worm looking things eating the dark spots. Which I figure are good micro organisms.

I also saw many perfectly round spots that look like donuts and I am curious what they are. You can see them in the blue rectangles. Also an example of a large dark spot that I presume is a clump of diatoms.

Tank is 2 years old. Any idea what those are ?

IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1889.jpeg
IMG_1891.jpeg
No diatoms in sight, in fact, nothing living in sight. The perfect circles look like air bubbles or oil droplets. Physical objects most likely.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could they be microbubbles ? I have lots of those because of my internal skimmer.
I think micro bubbles would appear very large under the microscope

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back