What are these strings out of my pagoda cup coral?

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid to ask, but does anyone know what these two things are coming out of my pagoda cup coral? (It hasn’t opened up it’s polyps since I fed it a couple of days ago btw)

2fabbe3337b34bc27aafebae949e11a3.jpg
4384b8d0e4f25e3f8205c2c67125af4a.jpg

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! You have a barnacle too!!

....:oops:

;)
I was just taking pics of the "tester" frags on rack last night (so I have photographic proof that I'm not completely incompetent), when I zoomed in, I saw something pulsing on the frag. So I filmed it. So weird.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just taking pics of the "tester" frags on rack last night (so I have photographic proof that I'm not completely incompetent), when I zoomed in, I saw something pulsing on the frag. So I filmed it. So weird.
Soo cool!! It means it came from the ocean. From what I can tell, most often , filter feeders like this won't last long in our tanks. Just not enough food for them.

Folks who have experienced "plagues" of them(and other filter feeders ) clearly do have enough food for them.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo cool!! It means it came from the ocean. From what I can tell, most often , filter feeders like this won't last long in our tanks. Just not enough food for them.

Folks who have experienced "plagues" of them(and other filter feeders ) clearly do have enough food for them.

Aw man, I want to keep him alive! I have microvert food. Maybe I can target feed him once in a while. I also was adding it to the whole tank for the feather dusters (but I think it messed up my water!) [emoji853]

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dorvellid worms. Scavengers
Cool. I didn't think they were invasive, it's just that my tank is finally getting interesting to look at. For too long my tank has been this glass box with water and rocks. I want to take pics and film it all the time now. Lol.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I didn't think they were invasive, it's just that my tank is finally getting interesting to look at. For too long my tank has been this glass box with water and rocks. I want to take pics and film it all the time now. Lol.
That's the fun part, watching it come to life. I'm happy for you man.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you saying that corals that come from the ocean wont live long in our tanks? I am not sure what filter feeder is. I am a newbie and I live in Florida. There are a lot of corals shops around me. I would say 10 in an hour or less drive! I never thought to aski f they were wild until my last one I bought and he said it was, so more than likely they all are! I am so stoked that I have a 1,000.00 credit from unique corals (dont hate me) lol and they are aquacultured! If you were me would you buy online? I live about an hour from WWC and I just noticed they have ebay auctions! I missed a bunch of bids last night that I thought was tonight, because I was going to save my unique for higher priced expensive corals that I could never afford to buy! LOL ANyway after I use up my credit I think I will make the drive to wwc and bi online for them. I guess I should consider myself lucky I live that close!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back