Whats growing on my frogspawn skeleton?

BeachPlease

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Does anyone know what these flat white things are growing out of the side of my frogspawn skeleton?

IMG_7124.jpeg IMG_7125.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on how to give them their best chance at survival?
Setup a larval rearing tank and offer some high-quality feeds of various sizes when they start to hatch (in the field, hatching takes place after 18-30 days).

I'd recommend offering some oyster for sure (probably some small chunks and some very tiny, grated pieces - the fresher the better) and probably something like TDO Chromaboost Type A (possibly with some tiny grated NLS Marine Fish pellets too) to start.

The juveniles/adults do well on oysters, so I'd assume the larvae would too in this case (not an assumption that should usually be made with marine larvae), but the larvae have for sure been documented feeding on detritus, so the TDO(/NLS pellets) would emulate that as a backup for the oysters.

For the larval-rearing tank:
For a very simple larval rearing tank, take a container, put saltwater in it, add an airstone/gentle sponge filter, and - if needed - a heater that is blocked off by a fine mesh (preferably less than 40 microns).

Some larvae may need more than just room-lighting/ambient lighting too, but, IIRC, I don't believe these do.
For an example of a simple larval rearing setup:

OP
OP
BeachPlease

BeachPlease

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information! Before I dive off into this I am concerned these eggs aren’t even viable? I’ve had her for a year and she’s the only conch. Everything I’ve been reading indicates that she needs to mate in order to fertilize the eggs?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information! Before I dive off into this I am concerned these eggs aren’t even viable? I’ve had her for a year and she’s the only conch. Everything I’ve been reading indicates that she needs to mate in order to fertilize the eggs?
Yeah, she'd need a male to mate with to produce fertile eggs.

OP
OP
BeachPlease

BeachPlease

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. So no chance that she’s been hanging onto these fertilized eggs for a year and just decided to lay them? Lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. So no chance that she’s been hanging onto these fertilized eggs for a year and just decided to lay them? Lol
Ah, good reminder for me - they can store sperm and fertilize eggs at a later date, but I don't know for how long. So, there's a chance the eggs are fertile, but I don't know how much of a chance it is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back