What are these thin white specs on my glass

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed today that I suddenly have a bunch of thin white specs that are moving around on the glass.

I am guessing they are spirorbid worms, but they do not appear to be circular and are thin.

I have been going through it with my aquarium upgrade over the last couple months culminating with losing all my fish 2 weeks ago to either velvet or ick and just added 2 new clowns over the weekend to start over (along with my CUC that survived).

2 days ago I got the shock of my life, literally, when I put my hand in the sump and got zapped, after a lot of research and one multimeter later, realized that both of my heaters were sending 120v into the water. Didn't seem to affect the new clowns but it probably wasn't good for them either.

Thought my problems were behind me until I saw these critters moving around today.

If someone could ease my mind that they are spirobid worms or some sort of pod, or also if they think it is something else that is more concerning, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture from the glass and another from the side looking at them from the other direction through the side glass.

Thanks again!

IMG_2876.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from the photos, are they moving around on the glass a lot. Spirorbid worms tend to stay in one place and not move around a lot.
They could be a type of flatworm like ghost flatworm. My tank occasionally gets an outbreak of them and I’ve seen a few posts about them. Generally people say they are harmless and I’ve never had an issue either. They come and go depending on how much food goes into the tank

OP
OP
C

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell from the photos, are they moving around on the glass a lot. Spirorbid worms tend to stay in one place and not move around a lot.
They could be a type of flatworm like ghost flatworm. My tank occasionally gets an outbreak of them and I’ve seen a few posts about them. Generally people say they are harmless and I’ve never had an issue either. They come and go depending on how much food goes into the tank
They are not moving a lot but they are moving. Was trying to get good photos but they are very small.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back