What are these things - forming on rocks and on Duncan Coral?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to notice more than a handful of these purple like extensions that are appearing on the rocks and 2 of my Duncan corals - I thought they might be feather dusters, but I'm not sure as I never see anything out of them.

This is a first for me, so hoping someone can assist.

Thanks

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @nothing_fancy: vermetid snail. They are not bad but more of a nuisance that can irritate corals. As stated, scrape them off.
Thank you! Learn something new all the time - I think I can snap them off with my fingers --- do these snails multiply/easily reproduce?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vermetid snail. Just crack it off with a knife
Thanks! I started out with clean base rock, so I don't know how these snails manage to anchor themselves to new rock...I would think they hitchhike from a frag plug and grow from there.

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Learn something new all the time - I think I can snap them off with my fingers --- do these snails multiply/easily reproduce?
Yes they do...I had a real issue with them years ago...get them while you can. I also used super glue to cover them if you cant chip them off. but u def need to get them asap before they multiply

coraler07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do...I had a real issue with them years ago...get them while you can. I also used super glue to cover them if you cant chip them off. but u def need to get them asap before they multiply
Same issue, yet to be resolved. One thing I heard is that sixline wrasse can eat them, but mine has not. Have not had any problems with them, just really ugly and occasionally bad for encrusting.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I started out with clean base rock, so I don't know how these snails manage to anchor themselves to new rock...I would think they hitchhike from a frag plug and grow from there.
Ya, it's just one of those things that crops up. They are relatively harmless. I actually have one under a pretty decent sized piece of plating montipora right now, if I try to crack it off I'll probably crack the monti too, which is not really a big deal but I have been just letting it be. On euphyllia or other soft corals they can annoy the coral if its up by the flesh like yours is so best to get them out early. They can get huge. Most people probably have them deep in the live rock and wouldn't even know it.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - I have my pliers/cutter ready to pull out the Duncan Coral and snip the snail away. For the ones that on the base of the rock, I'm hoping putting the wire cutter into the tank won't introduce any toxic items in.

From the sounds of things, these things are difficult to break off even if small? I could try a stainless steel pair of scissors too.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble bee snails i added 45 into my frag system has helped tremendously wrasse dont help tbh

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank they are very slow about it but grabbing numbers of em help tremendously....

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now about 50 in a 55g frag and have noticed a huge diff. Since i got them

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank they are very slow about it but grabbing numbers of em help tremendously....
I have 3 for a 15Gallon cube AIO tank. I wonder how much I'll need. In your case do the bumblee snails consume the entire vermetid snail structure?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I scrape of the Vermetid snail off from the rocks with a scraper or some to other tool without putting my hand inside the tank is there a risk that the snail can live/reproduce while it 'floats' away in the water?

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I scrape of the Vermetid snail off from the rocks with a scraper or some to other tool without putting my hand inside the tank is there a risk that the snail can live/reproduce while it 'floats' away in the water?
Are there alot of Vermetid snails in your system ?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to smash them up then scrape them. After that they’re fodder for my CUC.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back