What are these things killing off my torch??

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously they’re some sort of flatworm, right? I see 4 on the torch. They’ve been slowly killing it. I knew the torch was slowly dying but didn’t know why and now I do. Whatever they are I HATE THEM :)
FEDD002B-03C5-4F6B-BC00-FF216D80B750.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were four of those on the outside. I don’t have dip but I took the torch out and manually removed 3 and the forth one tried to retreat inside the torche but I got that sucker too. They looked like giant flatworms of some sort. I lost one Tonga torch that was right next to this one(both used to be glued to the rockscape and they did great for like 3 months then the Tonga started dying so I thought it was lack of flow so I moved it. But to no avail so then this one started showing the same signals of distress about 3 weeks ago. I moved it to the sand bed closer to a low flow power head for an added gentle flow about 4 days ago but when I came home tonight I seen those thing all over it and one sucking on the tentacles smh. Now that I got those things off I’m gonna leave it on the sand bed and see if I find anymore of those(I’ll go get some dip tomorrow too), dip it and monitor it and hope it recovers.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 huge ones I had to grab it when it was out of the head. Torch recovered great kill them quickly and Mercilessly! They will spread to other torches very fast. Nasty guy was even starting to change color to match its food source

B2C54852-056F-4ABF-AE6C-646753AD770F.png 76D2C975-5753-4703-852B-C9C341C859E2.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 huge ones I had to grab it when it was out of the head. Torch recovered great kill them quickly and Mercilessly! They will spread to other torches very fast. Nasty guy was even starting to change color to match its food source

B2C54852-056F-4ABF-AE6C-646753AD770F.png 76D2C975-5753-4703-852B-C9C341C859E2.jpeg
U know what they are? And why they seem to only mess with torches??

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are usually referred to as euphyllia eating flat worms, so it’s possible to find them on all euphyllia. It’s just more common to find them on torches. From what I remember reading, dipping won’t kill them but it will help to get them to fall off. And I think repeated dipping over perhaps a period of a week or two while scrubbing off eggs will help to get rid of them.
I’ve never experienced this problem and this information is from what I’ve looked up online in the past, so I would suggest looking it up yourself, as there is a lot of information.
Good luck!

OP
OP
ReefHomieJon

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are usually referred to as euphyllia eating flat worms, so it’s possible to find them on all euphyllia. It’s just more common to find them on torches. From what I remember reading, dipping won’t kill them but it will help to get them to fall off. And I think repeated dipping over perhaps a period of a week or two while scrubbing off eggs will help to get rid of them.
I’ve never experienced this problem and this information is from what I’ve looked up online in the past, so I would suggest looking it up yourself, as there is a lot of information.
Good luck!
Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back