What are these "wart-like" nodules on my Green Bird Wrasse?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Happy Labor Day All!

Any suggestions/ thoughts- What are these "wart-like" nodules on my Green Bird Wrasse beak?

I have had the wrasse for over 3 years and everyone else in tank for 1 year plus. No additions or subtractions.

Everything has been smooth, bird wrasse fattened ans super active. But about 2 weeks back i saw my 8 inch yellow tail corris wrasse dead and floating with scales badly ruffled ... no one messed with him, he slept kn 3-5 inche sand bed, big fat colorful ans happy. But that day the corris wrasse was dead and bird wrasse has bumps on his beak and some scratches. But NO fin tears. No one had any fons nipped.

In last 2 weeks my bird wrasse is twitching a bit. . As if wants to scratxh its beak ... he waz very outgoing but is shy and now and hides a bit. . He is eating krill and frozen food...

Pls see pic and video .... he is very responsive, recognizes me. ... let ne know what these wart-like bumps are?

Sjould I treat the wrasse with something? I have a lot of medicines...

20210901_190249.jpg 20210828_113953.jpg

Attachments

• 20210901_190325.mp4
    26 MB
  • 20210828_114003.mp4
    53.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Labor Day All!

Any suggestions/ thoughts- What are these "wart-like" nodules on my Green Bird Wrasse beak?

I have had the wrasse for over 3 years and everyone else in tank for 1 year plus. No additions or subtractions.

Everything has been smooth, bird wrasse fattened ans super active. But about 2 weeks back i saw my 8 inch yellow tail corris wrasse dead and floating with scales badly ruffled ... no one messed with him, he slept kn 3-5 inche sand bed, big fat colorful ans happy. But that day the corris wrasse was dead and bird wrasse has bumps on his beak and some scratches. But NO fin tears. No one had any fons nipped.

In last 2 weeks my bird wrasse is twitching a bit. . As if wants to scratxh its beak ... he waz very outgoing but is shy and now and hides a bit. . He is eating krill and frozen food...

Pls see pic and video .... he is very responsive, recognizes me. ... let ne know what these wart-like bumps are?

Sjould I treat the wrasse with something? I have a lot of medicines...

20210901_190249.jpg 20210828_113953.jpg
Male bird wrasses usually get these growths in captivity. Sometimes much worse than this. I’ve never seen them in the wild with them. One theory is that is has something to do with male hormones in captivity (only terminal males show this).

Jay

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Male bird wrasses usually get these growths in captivity. Sometimes much worse than this. I’ve never seen them in the wild with them. One theory is that is has something to do with male hormones in captivity (only terminal males show this).

Jay
Thanks for the inputs

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back