Help with my green bird wrasse

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I have been having issues with my green bird wrasse over the past couple of months and it had seemed to get better but he's looking a little off again and need some advice.

A little background:
I noticed back in September that my bird wrasses' fins were looking a little frayed and that he had been yawning and scratching a lot. He then stopped eating and I knew something was wrong. I had to act quick. After watching all of my fish, I noticed that a few were doing the same things. I couldn't catch any of them for a freshwater dip but it appeared to me that they had all the symptoms of flukes.

I decided to dose prazipro and followed the instructions and calculator for a second dose. I noticed right away that his appetite came back and all the other fish in the tank looked much less stressed.

My dilemma:
Everything seemed to go back to normal and they all seemed happy. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my Niger trigger going crazy and just attacking every fish in the tank. He nipped fins and bit some of my fishes bodies.

Shortly after this I noticed that all my bird wrasse fins were frayed again. Anal, dorsal, and pectoral fins. He seemed normal so I decided to just keep feeding with soaked food and see how it progressed. I also decided to do a 14 day kanaplex soaked food regiment to the tank to make sure there were no infections.

The bird wrasse is still very active and looks to be very fat and I noticed that his fins started to look a little better. The pectoral fins have grown almost all the way back but his anal and dorsal fins still looked frayed around the edges. He started to get picky with his food again but still seems fat and active. Yesterday I started to notice that the top of his beak looks faded and a little fuzzy. I immediately thought maybe the flukes had come back but after observing the other fish they all look 100 percent back to normal including their fins with no symtoms of disease, parasites, or stress. I wanted to get an opinion if this could be flukes again or what may be going on. I feel if it was flukes the other fish would show signs again as well. Any input would be appreciated and this has been very frustating and will take all the help I can get. I tried to get a video for reference which I have linked below but the bird wrasse is a non stop swimmer so it may not be the best. Curious if I am over thinking this or if I need to take any further action to help him out. He's my favorite in the tank so I'm a little overbearing with him. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

https://youtube.com/shorts/VyhmnuSXclI?feature=share .

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone. I have been having issues with my green bird wrasse over the past couple of months and it had seemed to get better but he's looking a little off again and need some advice.

A little background:
I noticed back in September that my bird wrasses' fins were looking a little frayed and that he had been yawning and scratching a lot. He then stopped eating and I knew something was wrong. I had to act quick. After watching all of my fish, I noticed that a few were doing the same things. I couldn't catch any of them for a freshwater dip but it appeared to me that they had all the symptoms of flukes.

I decided to dose prazipro and followed the instructions and calculator for a second dose. I noticed right away that his appetite came back and all the other fish in the tank looked much less stressed.

My dilemma:
Everything seemed to go back to normal and they all seemed happy. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my Niger trigger going crazy and just attacking every fish in the tank. He nipped fins and bit some of my fishes bodies.

Shortly after this I noticed that all my bird wrasse fins were frayed again. Anal, dorsal, and pectoral fins. He seemed normal so I decided to just keep feeding with soaked food and see how it progressed. I also decided to do a 14 day kanaplex soaked food regiment to the tank to make sure there were no infections.

The bird wrasse is still very active and looks to be very fat and I noticed that his fins started to look a little better. The pectoral fins have grown almost all the way back but his anal and dorsal fins still looked frayed around the edges. He started to get picky with his food again but still seems fat and active. Yesterday I started to notice that the top of his beak looks faded and a little fuzzy. I immediately thought maybe the flukes had come back but after observing the other fish they all look 100 percent back to normal including their fins with no symtoms of disease, parasites, or stress. I wanted to get an opinion if this could be flukes again or what may be going on. I feel if it was flukes the other fish would show signs again as well. Any input would be appreciated and this has been very frustating and will take all the help I can get. I tried to get a video for reference which I have linked below but the bird wrasse is a non stop swimmer so it may not be the best. Curious if I am over thinking this or if I need to take any further action to help him out. He's my favorite in the tank so I'm a little overbearing with him. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

Fish looks good and active as a bird wrasse would be. The nose is faint but looks like a bump or injury which explains the mark. With agrression in the tank and a wrasse that startles easily- may explain that.
Keep an eye on it for healing and Not deterioration. If it gets raw, treat in quarantine with seachem neoplex. . . if none Kanaplex

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish looks good and active as a bird wrasse would be. The nose is faint but looks like a bump or injury which explains the mark. With agrression in the tank and a wrasse that startles easily- may explain that.
Keep an eye on it for healing and Not deterioration. If it gets raw, treat in quarantine with seachem neoplex. . . if none Kanaplex
Thank you for the input. Definitely makes me feel a bit better. Is it normal for them to become picky eaters from time to time? Lately he doesn't go for food when I throw it in. Almost seems like he avoids the other fish for feeding. I started placing pieces of shrimp, clams, krill, squid, etc in rocks and on the sand and he goes around like he's hunting and will usually eat fine that way. Just curious if that's normal.

Also, should I be concerned his fins are still frayed since the other fishes have healed completely?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A little background:

My dilemma:

I agree = they have all the symptoms of flukes. If it was one fish - thats one thing - if its multiple - IMHO - thats another story. I would treat accordingly

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree = they have all the symptoms of flukes. If it was one fish - thats one thing - if its multiple - IMHO - thats another story. I would treat accordingly
I have no doubt they had it before the prazi treatment. I was curious everyone's thoughts now. Only fish that has any issues/symptoms is the bird wrasse but he doesn't scratch or yawn like before. Basically right now it's only tattered fins and the top of his beak looking a little fuzzy. That's why I wanted to see everyone's opinion on if it could be flukes again even after a long multi dosing prazi treament.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now just noticed my blue throat swimming around like this. Haven't see him.do this in awhile. Looks like he's flashing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately - I cannot (with the new YouTube) see the video. Are the symptoms similar to those of the wrasse?

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately - I cannot (with the new YouTube) see the video. Are the symptoms similar to those of the wrasse?
No. He's just glass surfing a lot right now and twitchy when he swims. I don't see any other symptoms

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure he's going after his reflection. He was normal with the lights off but as soon as the lights went on today he went right back at it again.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 I was able to get a really good video of his fins while he was resting in a rock today. They look more tattered when they are retracted but when he rests the fin is all the way out. I can see some fraying on the edges but doesn't seem to be down that far. Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 I was able to get a really good video of his fins while he was resting in a rock today. They look more tattered when they are retracted but when he rests the fin is all the way out. I can see some fraying on the edges but doesn't seem to be down that far. Thoughts?

I see it although light is dark
Either regrowing from aggression or mild fin rot which is bacterial and associated with water quality
Treatment would be seachem neoplex but confirm rot and not aggression before treating

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 well something is definitely bothering him. It is looking like I will need to rehome him or my yellow tang because the bird wrasse all of a sudden keeps trying to kill the yellow tang and the tang is fighting back. I can't watch this anymore. I don't understand. They have been great tank mates for a year and a half now. What would cause the bird wrasse to want to be so aggressive to him all of a sudden?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 well something is definitely bothering him. It is looking like I will need to rehome him or my yellow tang because the bird wrasse all of a sudden keeps trying to kill the yellow tang and the tang is fighting back. I can't watch this anymore. I don't understand. They have been great tank mates for a year and a half now. What would cause the bird wrasse to want to be so aggressive to him all of a sudden?
One thing could be 'age' - i.e. one of them is establishing a territory? One way to mitigate it would be to change around your rocks-cape a bit?

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing could be 'age' - i.e. one of them is establishing a territory? One way to mitigate it would be to change around your rocks-cape a bit?
@MnFish1 I have the lights off now and it has seemed to help somewhat. I will move the rock work around and see if that helps. I was thinking about that earlier. Thanks for the input. I am wondering if maybe the tank is too small for the wrasse. I had originally ordered a small one and my lfs put it in a lid less tank and it jumped out and died. I went back a week later and he was like here, this was the only one I could find and hands me a giant bag with him in it and he was 9 inches. I wasn't expecting it to be so big. Worked out for the past year and a half or so but maybe a 180 isn't big enough in the long run.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Someone is going to suffer the consequences and best is to isolate- acclimation box is best. Not typical bird wrasse behavior but having 6 yellows, I Know they can be jerks and very annoying to others.
Rehome may be an end result

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 I have the lights off now and it has seemed to help somewhat. I will move the rock work around and see if that helps. I was thinking about that earlier. Thanks for the input. I am wondering if maybe the tank is too small for the wrasse. I had originally ordered a small one and my lfs put it in a lid less tank and it jumped out and died. I went back a week later and he was like here, this was the only one I could find and hands me a giant bag with him in it and he was 9 inches. I wasn't expecting it to be so big. Worked out for the past year and a half or so but maybe a 180 isn't big enough in the long run.
9 inches is pretty big - I guess my Harlequin Tusk is about 6 or so - in a 100 gallon tank.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 I finally moved all of the rock work around and they don't seem to be going after one another now. I've noticed that since I moved it that the bird wrasse is doing this. I take it this is normal until he makes a new home? He's just sitting there or in a corner. He's got some nice chunks taken out of his beak from the tangs scalpel too.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @MnFish1 I finally moved all of the rock work around and they don't seem to be going after one another now. I've noticed that since I moved it that the bird wrasse is doing this. I take it this is normal until he makes a new home? He's just sitting there or in a corner. He's got some nice chunks taken out of his beak from the tangs scalpel too.

Great to hear. Not unusual for bird wrasse to do what its doing in the video

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. Was curious since he's never sat in the sand like that out in the open before even when he was introduced the first time.
This and its cousin the brown bird wrasse seem to be lazy until food hits the water and then theyre wind-up toys

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back