What are you using for large tank sumps?

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering what you large tank folks are using for your sumps and refugiums, where did you get it and what did it cost if you don't mind sharing (if it had to be shipped I'd be interested in the breakdown for the actual sump, and the shipping cost).

I'll have around a 300-350 gallon display, the sump and refugium don't need to fit under the tank.

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 300 - A Rubbermaid stock tanks - mine is 100 gallons filled with live rock a few naughty fish and some inverts at the moment. Will be reconfigured soon but same basic equipment...

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use a 6ft long 120g I had laying around from when I upgraded to my 220g. The 220g is plumbed into the adjacent room were the 120g and other tanks on the system lye. Not having the sump under the tank makes life much easier and leaves room for more possibilities as you may already know. I just got glass cut at Lowes and siliconed the baffles in myself.

If I didn't already have that 120g tank to use I would have went with a Rubbermaid Structural Foam Stock tank. You can get them anywhere from 50 gallons to 300 gallons. Get whatever size you want and/or however many you want and design around that. The weight of the stock tank with water can rest on the rim of the tank alone so building shelving to hold multiple stock tanks vertically is easy.

I would have loved the 300g stock tank but it wouldn't have fit in my fish room as it is 5'3" in circumference. May not seem big unless you've seen one in person. Draw out a 5ft circle on the floor and that's roughly what the 300g stock tank will look like.

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com...ryCode=agriculture_stock_tanks&rcpNum=4242-88

OP
OP
TylerS

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by stacking... Do you think you would miss not seeing into the sump from the side?Sump for sure wouldn't need to be 300 gallons. I would think two 100 gal tanks, 1 for sump and 1 for refugium max.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by stacking... Do you think you would miss not seeing into the sump from the side?Sump for sure wouldn't need to be 300 gallons. I would think two 100 gal tanks, 1 for sump and 1 for refugium max.

Poor word choice on my part sorry. What I meant by stacking is building a stand so that one 100g would drain down to the other 100g. The stand doesn't need to go along the bottom of the Rubbermaid like you would tradition do with an aquarium. The Rubbermaid can "hang" on the protruding rim. Since the Rubbermaid is an oval it's ok if the very corners of the Rubbermaid don't "hang" on anything. Since the way stands are built you would have a 90 corner. It's not necessary to match the curve of the Rubbermaid corner. Hope that was understandable haha

OP
OP
TylerS

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh I get what you mean. Basically the stock tank can be suspended between two bars, 2x4, 4x4 or whatever.

Anyone else have suggestions? How much do the larger custom sumps run?

300bowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is a 220 gallon. And I have a synergy reef sump plumbed in behind the tank in another room. This sump holds my skimmer and other reactors. It is part of a larger system in the range of 450 total water volume now and it works perfectly.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back