What are you using to dose Phosphate

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using NeoPhos (Brightwell) for a few months now but it doesn’t really seem to be working. I added 8ml to a 20g tank and Po4 only increased by .01 with nothing in the tank other than a few zoas. I’m looking to switch to a new product and would like to hear some reviews from everyone here

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been successfully raising phosphates via fish and heavier feedings. I know that at some point my 9 month old tank's rock and substrate will stop soaking up as much PO4 and I'll probably have to deal will trying to keep it under control.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Trisodium Phosphate from loudwolf.com It's been a while, but I think I was dissolving one of the $10 bottles in two liters of rodi water. It worked and was a lot cheaper than the Btightwell, which I've used also.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been successfully raising phosphates via fish and heavier feedings. I know that at some point my 9 month old tank's rock and substrate will stop soaking up as much PO4 and I'll probably have to deal will trying to keep it under control.
Tried this but it hasn’t done much. Honestly, I have no idea where the phosphate is going. The only thing I can think of is it’s getting trapped in the sand but not sure how plausible that is

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried this but it hasn’t done much. Honestly, I have no idea where the phosphate is going. The only thing I can think of is it’s getting trapped in the sand but not sure how plausible that is

If you started with dry rock and substrate, it's a good bet it's being absorbed by them. Do you have algae or corals that could also be soaking it up?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started with dry rock and substrate, it's a good bet it's being absorbed by them. Do you have algae or corals that could also be soaking it up?
Started with real reef and live sand. I have a little bit of algae on some snail shells and in the back chambers but that’s really it. I’m just getting over dinos. The only corals I have right now are a few mini zoa colonies

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with real reef and live sand. I have a little bit of algae on some snail shells and in the back chambers but that’s really it. I’m just getting over dinos. The only corals I have right now are a few mini zoa colonies

My bet is still the substrate and rock absorbing the PO4. So either increase feedings or dose...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 binds to aragonite (sand, rock) until it is saturated to a sufficient degree. Then it will leach back into the water.

I use trisodium phosphate. Be careful to buy the real thing though. There are MANY substitute products often labeled TSP.

I use this:

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 binds to aragonite (sand, rock) until it is saturated to a sufficient degree. Then it will leach back into the water.

I use trisodium phosphate. Be careful to buy the real thing though. There are MANY substitute products often labeled TSP.

I use this:

This is good to know! I’ll do some more research on that stuff!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On an established tank of about 10 years I measured my water then a sample pulled from the sandbed.
BIG difference.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monosodium Phosphate NaH2PO4 (food grade from ebay)

As others have pointed out, Dry Rock and aragonite sand can sink a lot of it Initially

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neophos, used it for years, 5ml per day in a 180g to maintain 0.06ppm.
Very predictable stuff.
Only the Hanna UL Phosphorus checker worked for me.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neophos, used it for years, 5ml per day in a 180g to maintain 0.06ppm.
Very predictable stuff.
Only the Hanna UL Phosphorus checker worked for me.
See that’s crazy. I’ve consistently been adding 2-4ml to my 20g and previously my 7g and nothing was happening

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back