What are your preferred tools/methods for fragging corals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What do you use to frag your corals? (Be sure and comment below to let us know what's in your kit.)

• I use a prepackaged coral propagation kit (Ecotech or other).

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I built my own "kit" of non-aquarium tools.

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be an interesting discussion. What are your preferred "tools of the trade"? Do you use a prepackaged coral propagation kit, or did you build your own? What do you use when you frag corals?

tools.jpg

(Btw, If you'd like a cool "Tools of the Trade" shirt, click on the above picture.)

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a discount tool store nearby. Any tools used for either the tank or fiberglassing come from there then thrown away when they become nasty.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a razor blade/exacto knife and it only worked for some of my coral! I've lost a few acans that way.... Any pro tips to share? [emoji14]

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sps/Lps will generally need bone cutters, bone saw, dremel, or bandsaw works best.. Anything else I generally use exacto and super glue gel

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a razor blade/exacto knife and it only worked for some of my coral! I've lost a few acans that way.... Any pro tips to share? [emoji14]<br/>
Did u attempt to cut acans with a blade? This skeleton is bone and will require something more suitable for cutting rock/bone

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a razor blade/exacto knife and it only worked for some of my coral! I've lost a few acans that way.... Any pro tips to share? [emoji14]<br/>

Softies only :)
You could use a blade to cut the flesh, but the skeleton needs something like diagonal pliers, bone cutters etc.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u attempt to cut acans with a blade? This skeleton is bone and will require something more suitable for cutting rock/bone
I did; right at the base. Wound up cracking it (of course) and it died. Newbie mistake.. Except now I'm terrified to frag anything or remove coral from plugs, so most of my coral are in the sand or balanced on the rocks with their plugs! Looks rotten :/
Softies only :)
You could use a blade to cut the flesh, but the skeleton needs something like diagonal pliers, bone cutters etc.
Definitely going with softies! Should those be put in iodine or anything after they've been cut? I've seen mixed reviews. I've been interested in trying bone cutters but I'm terrified of damaging the base of a coral to the point where death is inevitable. Especially dremels - those seem particularly good at cleanup, but I've heard stories about pros even killing their coral with them. It all scares new haha [emoji15]

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did; right at the base. Wound up cracking it (of course) and it died. Newbie mistake.. Except now I'm terrified to frag anything or remove coral from plugs, so most of my coral are in the sand or balanced on the rocks with their plugs! Looks rotten :/

Definitely going with softies! Should those be put in iodine or anything after they've been cut? I've seen mixed reviews. I've been interested in trying bone cutters but I'm terrified of damaging the base of a coral to the point where death is inevitable. Especially dremels - those seem particularly good at cleanup, but I've heard stories about pros even killing their coral with them. It all scares new haha [emoji15]

Softies are way underrated :)
I've never dipped them in anything afterwards except tank water to rinse them off. I've never lost a piece before, but all the softies I've fragged have been bulletproof lol. I just add a small blob of glue and a loose rubber band to secure them to a piece of rubble rock and they usually come back a day or so after attaching. The glue doesn't always hold though, sometimes they need to naturally attach. I've always wanted to try surgical scissors for fragging softies but have never had the chance.
I believe the dremels produce quite a lot of heat and that's one of the reasons frags can be lost. I've never used one before and I've only done minimal LPS and SPS fragging in the past, so take that with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
soggytees

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking for acans, favias, etc. (not necessarily ALL LPS...but certainly for a lot of them) a band saw is generally the best tool. Unfortunately, it also ends up being the most expensive...but if you intend to keep on fragging these corals, it's a pretty worthwhile investment IMO.

OP
OP
soggytees

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...NOBODY uses the prefab propagation kits? Somebody is loosing a lot of money on R&D...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back