What can I add to my dosing at this point? Have had stable parameters for 8 months now

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I've been using Tropic Marin's All-For-Reef (Powder mixed into 1,000ml of RODI, dosed at 40ml a day) in combination with my upgraded lighting since December of 2020 with the tank upgrade, and everything has exploded in growth/health (Dragon Soul went from 1 head to 8 in 6 month for example), other than losing a wild caught green goni. I am so happy I finally got my parameters under control, but my problem is that I have an empty dosing reservoir with my DOS/DDR Combo, and feel like I am missing an opportunity to get even better, like coloration or polyp extension even more. I just don't know what to use in that reservoir, as I have dosed aminos before and never noticed a huge difference.

I have added even more acros since this picture, as I definitely caught the SPS bug even more; ASD Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Sexy Corals Orange Passion, Blue Matrix, PC Rainbow, etc. And they all have have good polyp extension, although I seem to not have all too much green/yellow in my otherwise reddish pink PC Rainbow, maybe it's currently growing and encrusting too fast.

Other than upgrading from the Ai Hydra 26HD, to the Ai Hydra 32HD, along with messing with the ATI Bulb Combination (Thinking Blue +, Purple +, and 2 x True Actinic) I don't have much I can think of upgrading other than just buying more frags at this point since I ditched my Monti's due to Nudibranch's from my brother (yikes right?).

So, drop your suggestions on what you think I should add to my dosing reservoir, I think top of my list is getting more green's/yellows/ out of my SPS, or even more polyp extension, or anything that changed the game for you. Thanks!

PH: 8.3
Calcium: 440
Alkalinity: 8.2 DKH
Magnesium: 1365
Phosphate: Kind of hard to read with the Salifert kits, but I am either at .1ppm or lower, I have to bring my Chaeto online since I have been waiting for Tunze Submersible light in my sump.
Nitrate: .2ppm - .5ppm

reef update.jpg reef.jpg Zoa's.jpg Reef Side.jpg

Attachments

• Reef video.mp4
    20.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all, so I've been using Tropic Marin's All-For-Reef (Powder mixed into 1,000ml of RODI, dosed at 40ml a day) in combination with my upgraded lighting since December of 2020 with the tank upgrade, and everything has exploded in growth/health (Dragon Soul went from 1 head to 8 in 6 month for example), other than losing a wild caught green goni. I am so happy I finally got my parameters under control, but my problem is that I have an empty dosing reservoir with my DOS/DDR Combo, and feel like I am missing an opportunity to get even better, like coloration or polyp extension even more. I just don't know what to use in that reservoir, as I have dosed aminos before and never noticed a huge difference.

I have added even more acros since this picture, as I definitely caught the SPS bug even more; ASD Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Sexy Corals Orange Passion, Blue Matrix, PC Rainbow, etc. And they all have have good polyp extension, although I seem to not have all too much green/yellow in my otherwise reddish pink PC Rainbow, maybe it's currently growing and encrusting too fast.

Other than upgrading from the Ai Hydra 26HD, to the Ai Hydra 32HD, along with messing with the ATI Bulb Combination (Thinking Blue +, Purple +, and 2 x True Actinic) I don't have much I can think of upgrading other than just buying more frags at this point since I ditched my Monti's due to Nudibranch's from my brother (yikes right?).

So, drop your suggestions on what you think I should add to my dosing reservoir, I think top of my list is getting more green's/yellows/ out of my SPS, or even more polyp extension, or anything that changed the game for you. Thanks!

Phosphate: Kind of hard to read with the Salifert kits, but I am either at .1ppm or lower, I have to bring my Chaeto online since I have been waiting for Tunze Submersible light in my sump.

If your parameters are truly stable and the tank which looks great is holding, I would change nothing- add nothing

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing , congratulations mission passed .

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started doing the same but only dosing 20ml in my 105 and things have noticeably improved but my calcium is almost a little to high which I suspect is because I just don't have to many large stony corals but its good to see someone having success doing the same thing. Don't fix something that isn't broken is pretty good advice!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started doing the same but only dosing 20ml in my 105 and things have noticeably improved but my calcium is almost a little to high which I suspect is because I just don't have to many large stony corals but its good to see someone having success doing the same thing. Don't fix something that isn't broken is pretty good advice!
Not a huge problem! I would be worried more if it was your alkalinity reaching upper 10's, although some people run it high, I have always encountered alk burns on my SPS tips when I dealt with dosing issues in the past! Means you have room to add more coral to uptake some of that extra Calcium.

But yeah, I love this stuff, and got my little brother hooked on it too. The powdered version makes it INSANELY affordable compared to my old Tropic Marin 10L DIY Kit. I think it's 10L worth of powder for $68, which at 40ml's a day, I get 250 days of dosing for only 27 cents a day. It's nuts!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a very clean install sump area can you post another pic or 2? Are your dosing reservoirs external to the cabinet bases on that pic?
Thank you! I spent so much time on the planning stage! I spent month's designing the sump, having it CNC'ed, and plumbing the tank. Take a look at this if you want to see more.

The dosing reservoirs are located on the right of the sump, along with the DOS

Sump Full.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@shakacuz Sorry, what is this reef moonshines method you are talking about? Interested in at least reading about it!
i myself do not know much. but the little i’ve read indicates it’s a version of the triton method. would ask those who have mentioned it in this thread

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a huge problem! I would be worried more if it was your alkalinity reaching upper 10's, although some people run it high, I have always encountered alk burns on my SPS tips when I dealt with dosing issues in the past! Means you have room to add more coral to uptake some of that extra Calcium.

But yeah, I love this stuff, and got my little brother hooked on it too. The powdered version makes it INSANELY affordable compared to my old Tropic Marin 10L DIY Kit. I think it's 10L worth of powder for $68, which at 40ml's a day, I get 250 days of dosing for only 27 cents a day. It's nuts!
So I tested Alkalinity last night and it was at a 12 and that made me tests Calcium again and it was at 500! I immediately dropped the dose down to 10ml (1/2) and will test again today and tomorrow to see if I need to do anything else but luckily everyone seems very happy in the tank. Definitely using the powder next time the price difference is insane.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back