What can you tell me about jawfish

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it. How are they? Active? Aggressive? Easy to keep? I'm looking for a blenny, but jawfish keep coming up. I've never had one, but i'm interested.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At feeding time I find them to be very personal. Anytime I’ve had them they pretty much hang in the little cave they’ve made for them selfs and are always looking around. Drop in some food and they come right out

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a mess of your substrate. Very active and fun to watch. Sometimes they disappear and cover their hole with rocks or snails but they are still in the home they built. They Get angry when other fish go near the hole they dug. But they just open their mouth real wide. It’s funny.

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We struggled with jawfish until the last 2 that we got. We really wanted the diamond spot variety but did not have success so tried yellow-head jawfish. We have two of these and they are fun to watch - very, very active. But they have completely re-scaped the sand in the tank. Unbelievable how much sand the two of them can move in a few hours. They also decorate the entrance to their burrows with snails. These two have paired so they are always together.

I would say the negative to them is that they drop sand all over the corals and rock flower anemones in the lower half of the tank. My husband takes a baster and blows the sand off at least once a day and always before we spot feed the corals. Don't know if that is being obsessive but that is his thing.

The positive is our sand is very clean! When we use the Python siphon pipe to clean the sand with the monthly water change there is definitely way less detritus than there used to be.

Here is a photo of the sand bed that they re-arranged from flat to hilly in a few hours. All the sand above the rock flower was not there before they decided to go all HGTV on their burrow! The arrow points to their burrow.
fullsizeoutput_16fa.jpeg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We struggled with jawfish until the last 2 that we got. We really wanted the diamond spot variety but did not have success so tried yellow-head jawfish. We have two of these and they are fun to watch - very, very active. But they have completely re-scaped the sand in the tank. Unbelievable how much sand the two of them can move in a few hours. They also decorate the entrance to their burrows with snails. These two have paired so they are always together.

I would say the negative to them is that they drop sand all over the corals and rock flower anemones in the lower half of the tank. My husband takes a baster and blows the sand off at least once a day and always before we spot feed the corals. Don't know if that is being obsessive but that is his thing.

The positive is our sand is very clean! When we use the Python siphon pipe to clean the sand with the monthly water change there is definitely way less detritus than there used to be.

Here is a photo of the sand bed that they re-arranged from flat to hilly in a few hours. All the sand above the rock flower was not there before they decided to go all HGTV on their burrow! The arrow points to their burrow.
fullsizeoutput_16fa.jpeg
It's a fish only so I'm not worried about corals. I had a couple diamond gobies as well. They starve in tanks. In the wild they claim a 10x10 area.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have x2 yellow head in a 75g dt. They both found separate rocks to dig under and make their bunker. Big mounds of substrate around their hideout and they rearrange it alot. They both stayed in the same burrow initially but one moved out and found its own. Both have stayed in their own spot since.

Cool fishb as long as you don't mind the sand mounds around their cave. Active with lots of personality when feeding time comes. And are non aggressive only opening their surprisingly huge jaws if they get mad at a fish as others have mentioned.

No way they starve in my tank, they both eat a lot!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back