What canister filter is the best for a 29 gallon saltwater tank?

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by Leon Gorani, Apr 13, 2019.

1. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Great minds think alike. @NorCal Reefer what type of coral do you grow

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Mudder and Salty Lemon like this.

2. NorCal Reefer

NorCal Reefer Member

predominantly sps with a few lps. Just purchased a few more pieces from top shelf aquatics this morning.

Mudder and sfin52 like this.
  3. GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones Active Member

I actually use a phosban reactor as a hang on canister filter. Its very space efficient, and changing media is as easy as dumping it out and rinsing the reactor in hot water to clean any detritus. I pack 1 layer of fine floss on the bottom and top to contain the fine media, and just compress whatever media I want to run between it in a sandwich. Its very simple, cheap, easy to clean, and saves space. You just want to make sure to get stronger pump than whats recommended for GFO only setup. I run a minijet 606 at full speed with carbon and purigen and it takes care are all my non skimmer filtration with little hassle. The whole setup cost around 70 dollars and it works great for me thus far.

4. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Thats heck of an idea

rkpetersen and Mudder like this.
  5. sfin52

How big of a tank

Mudder likes this.
  6. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family.

MnFish1, sfin52, Mudder and 1 other person like this.
  7. GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones Active Member

I use it on a 50 gallon mixed reef together with a Reef Octopus 90 Skimmer. Keeps the water clear, I use a generous portion of carbon and purigen. I just have to be careful to check on the output flow once in a while because the floss in the chamber becomes progressively clogged as it binds detritus. In that case, the water output slows down considerably. I should probably use a higher output powerhead and use the ball valve. I make sure to clamp every connection tightly because although the unit is a pressurized system, it is designed for low flow. I dont see why one couldnt run a maxijet 1200 if they wanted to. It would be overkill but could make for a nice closed loop add on for those looking to increase flow. Just make sure all connections are clamped appropriately and all O rings secured and it will do the job.

Hemmdog and sfin52 like this.
  8. Mudder

Mudder Active Member R2R Supporter

tenor (2).gif

Welcome to R2R!!!

Hemmdog, MnFish1, sfin52 and 3 others like this.
  9. sfin52

Thats an amazing gif.

@Katrina71 check out this giff

Hemmdog and GoatmealJones like this.
  10. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Carbon Doser Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

[​IMG]

Hemmdog, dbl and sfin52 like this.
  11. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I would recommend an HOB ( hang on back unit over a canister. Much easier to service and more geared toward Marine application.
    If you must use canister, Fluval with the built in UV sterilizer. Not easy to service any canister but they have gotten better

[​IMG]

Hemmdog, dbl and MnFish1 like this.
  12. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Honestly - though you said you cant afford it - a sump doesn't have to be 'expensive'. You can have a hang on the back overflow and a 5 gallon glass tank as a sump - and a return. The question is - what do you Lose by using a canister - what do you gain with a sump? As others have said - most of the filtration/denitrification is done by the live rock and flow in the tank. With a sump you have space for a heater, space for a small skimmer, can always put in a filter sock.

My experience with canisters is positive (except.as others have said - maintenance) - and requiring replacement (often). If you take the cost of a sump (DIY) vs canisters, media, etc - I don't think they are that much different.

Hemmdog and dbl like this.
  13. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Welcome Leon ! I went back & read the original thread more thoroughly . A canister would work I think but must be kept clean Also I'd put,say an aqua clear 70 would give you some extra filtration. Please let us know what you decide .

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    MnFish1 and dbl like this.
  14. Hitman

Hitman SPS Addictions are real!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R

Hemmdog and dbl like this.
  15. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R! Looks like you’ve gotten tons of good input so far, so figured I’d just add another “hello” for good measure ;)

Hemmdog, MnFish1 and dbl like this.
  16. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

The Oase BioMaster line are really nice canister filters. Oase has been big in the USA pond scene for years and are just now bringing their aquariums systems to the USA.
    really nice forward thinking canisters. I love my ADA canisters as they are built like tanks.:)

17. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Well-Known Member

If you're looking at a SunSun canister, check out an aquatop one. They are the same thing, but you'll get english instructions.

And you can absolutely run a reef tank with a canister filter. As long as you set it up correctly everything will be fine. I would find one with at least 3 trays so you can run a good amount of biological media in it. You need to know how the flow goes through the canister, and set your media up like this, flow ---> mechanical media (coarse, medium, fine pads) ---> biological media (seachem matrix, biohome, marinepure, ect...) ----> chemical media (carbon, purigen, gfo, ect...).

18. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Well-Known Member

Also, check the Pond Guru on youtube. He does some awesome videos on how to set up canister filters.

19. Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani Member

Thanks! How do you usually clean it? I hear you can’t use freshwater to clean it or else the tank will crash, so does that mean I need to take out a few gallons of tank water and just rinse everything in that every other week? Currently I rinse my HOB filter in the sink with tap water and it seems to be fine. But I understand that kills bacteria in canister filters. So what’s the best way to maintain a canister?

20. Peace River

Peace River Active Member R2R Supporter

You can rinse the filter media/sponges in RO water which you will likely have on hand for mixing the new saltwater for water changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted