What causes Alkalinity to go down?

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around 3 months old. 200 gallons total. 12 small corals and 5 small fish.

Calcium was around 340 ppm. Started dosing and couple weeks later it's now around 420 ppm.

My Alkalinity has always hovered around 7.9 to 8.1 dKH.

What causes Alkalinity to go down as it has not yet happened to me?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consumption and also the system bing new Chasing number right now is only going to frustrate you.:) Look into two part or the balling method, either one will help with balancing your system.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consumption and also the system bing new Chasing number right now is only going to frustrate you.:) Look into two part or the balling method, either one will help with balancing your system.

"Don't chase numbers", "sometimes corals and fish will just die", and "be patient" are three things I hear from a lot of long time reefers. :)

I'll just monitor it for now and dose if needed.

Thank you again.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Don't chase numbers", "sometimes corals and fish will just die", and "be patient" are three things I hear from a lot of long time reefers. :)

I'll just monitor it for now and dose if needed.

Thank you again.
Then look into the 2 part or balling method.;) Until I went with the balling method I used to have issues with my parameters bouncing around also. I still have to make adjustment every once I a while, my parameter have been pretty steady for the past two year.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then look into the 2 part or balling method.;) Until I went with the balling method I used to have issues with my parameters bouncing around also. I still have to make adjustment every once I a while, my parameter have been pretty steady for the past two year.

Is the balling method same as a two part doses?

I have the Brightwell Reef Code A and B.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balling Method link.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the balling method same as a two part doses?

I have the Brightwell Reef Code A and B.

In its functionality it is very similar. How exactly it is formulated is a little different.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium hasn't been declining if alkalinity has not, but calcium may have started low.

What salt mix are you using and at what salinity?

Yes, calcium did start low. Now that I have calcium at the correct ppm, will both equally start to go down?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, calcium did start low. Now that I have calcium at the correct ppm, will both equally start to go down?

If there is hard coral growth or abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, yes, they will go down together. :)

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fringe09 Aquaforest produces a good balling method product. It has 3 part 1 part x product + trace part 2 different part and NaCl free salt mix. It is more of a European reefing process. I prefer doing things like a 'Murican. I dose two part when consumption demand Mg when consumption demands and I do a small water change at the my target params. This satisfies trace replenishment. The Water change could technically be handled by a AWC system to automate further. Personally I like to manually complete the task. It keeps me grounded in my reefing/brings my eyeballs to my tank 1x per week. :D I hope the post helps.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium dosage makes your alkalinity go down due to consumption. Imagine calcium and alkalinity like two scales of a balance. You have to try to bring calcium and alkalinity into balance. The exact position of the equilibrium is determined by other water parameters like phosphate concentration, pH and concentration of organics.

Back