What causes plump skirts?

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I see nice images of zoas/palys, the skirts are usually thick/plump. Mine are all skinny. I don't dose iodine. Could that be the issue? I used to have crappy PC lighting, but now have super nice LEDs. So, I don't think it's lighting.

OP
OP
Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I do 35% WC once a week. No fish. Just corals and minimal CUC.
Is that it? If I start feeding the tank would that help?

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly am nor sure why this is, but it could have something to do with flow. I can also tell you that I have some in my tank that are plump and some that are not. :)

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a happy zoa is a fat zoa. i would try feeding some cyclops or oyster eggs maybe to fatten those guys up. i am heavy handed when i feed my tanks and my zoas are fat.

OP
OP
Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone with the nicest fattest zoas I've ever seen. He doesn't feed them. Though, he does have fish and I don't. I have some Pink and Golds and some Magicians that I feed cyclope-eze on occasion, 'not sure if it's making any difference on them though. These are big palys though. Is it possible to feed the little zoas like Tub's Blue? I tried to spot feed them once, but they didn't really react to the food.

Either way, thanks for all the advice. Anyone else have any ideas?

K-MAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it all has to do with flow, I have a nice colony pf pink elephants. When i got the frag from Tyree it had think pink skirts, i put it in a tank with high flow and the skirts are now what i would call elongated. I cut a few polyps off and placed them in crevice and the sirts now fattened back up....thats just my experience...

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I do 35% WC once a week. No fish. Just corals and minimal CUC.
Is that it? If I start feeding the tank would that help?
35% WC weekly could be stripping your tank of all the goodies that all your corals would feed on,not just the zoas.I mean every 2 weeks is a 70% WC which can become deadly.Especially with no fish and it sounds like your not dosing any kind of foods.

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it may be a feeding issue. The foods are not necessarily directly consumed by zoas. Some seem to absorb their nutrients, carbs, proteins, etc from the water column to supplement the energy from photosynthesis. They may utilize nutrients (not just N and P) after they have been partially metabolized by other organisms.

Also, I agree with bayreefer - the math isn't quite there but the intent is :) - That may just be too clean for zoas to do their best and assuming you are using synthetic salt and not NSW, the water never fully ages if so much is changed so often. I don't think that allows some of the more complex interactions to occur.

OP
OP
Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35% WC weekly could be stripping your tank of all the goodies that all your corals would feed on,not just the zoas.I mean every 2 weeks is a 70% WC which can become deadly.Especially with no fish and it sounds like your not dosing any kind of foods.

I do that to replenish trace elements (alk, Ca, Mg) and to ensure minimal buildup of algae. I have a 3 gallon pico aquarium. So, stuff changes fast. Do you think it would be better to do more like 15-20%?

OP
OP
Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Getting some great stuff here. Thanks everyone. I will def cut down on the amount of water changed. I didn't realize how much of a negative impact it could have. I thought I was doing it right. Just goes to show, there's always something to learn in this hobby.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing my really small zoas will actually eat are pellets

Let them dissolve in a cup of water for 2-5 minutes then spray the dissolved pellets on the zoas

Back