What Causes This?

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two zoanthid colonies that have several polyps that are exact in every way to the rest of the polyps in the colony except for the fact that the centers are a different color. Is there a specific reason that this happens or is it pretty normal?

Here is an example picture:

mixedzoanthid.jpg

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this happens pretty frequently though I'm not sure what the cause of it is. In my own experience with this, most of the time the different polyps will revert back to their former coloration given time and in rare instances will morph even more into something different. It's always cool to watch regardless of the cause :)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Nikon_Guy

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most interesting. I will have to keep an eye open for that as I have not witnessed it before. Thank you.

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few zoas look like they were "sucking their thumb" like that but I haven't noticed a color change afterward. That's pretty darn wierd...

-Sonja

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a rock with bam bams and dragone eyes that fell to some heavy infection...after they pulled through, i started to notice certain polyps that would contain both colors of the bambams and dragon eyes, some polyps with colors looking as if both colors were mixing on a palett... very weird

Back