What color do you paint your back glass?

What color do you prefer your back glass?

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semi gloss black rustoleum oil based paint. Taken by the advice of BRS. Did this to my current tank, and it was easy and turned out great :)
Black allows your corals and fish to pop more IMO

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My back is black to hide the black coast to coast, but I did the sides( it’s an in wall) Flexidip Cobalt Blue, then rolled over that with a flat blue just to prevent scratches/ wear on the paint.(Since plasti/flexidip wears easier if you were to knock into it w something etc) The little bit of metallic in the flexidip adds way more depth when filled with water from the viewing display than a tank I did years ago with regular blue paint. (IMO)
Just a thought.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept it clear. Gives the illusion that the tank is larger.

Nrzk7Q5l.jpg

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Blue. I love to snorkel and it just feels more natural to me to have a blue background. You're not likely to see any corals against a black backdrop in nature. It also give a brighter feel to the tank in general that may be hard to conceptualize without seeing it in person. Whereas a black one gives a darker feel.

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting the back of your tank actually takes away par and strength of light your using I read a article yeRs ago that the paint will absorb light so it actuallity it is taking away light instead of reflecting it off clear glass What i do is paint the wall behind the tank it looks real good and u keap the glass and reflection of light The darker u paint the tank the more light is absorbed so it actually seams like a backwards statement but its not

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting the back of your tank actually takes away par and strength of light your using I read a article yeRs ago that the paint will absorb light so it actuallity it is taking away light instead of reflecting it off clear glass What i do is paint the wall behind the tank it looks real good and u keap the glass and reflection of light The darker u paint the tank the more light is absorbed so it actually seams like a backwards statement but its not

I would agree if you painted in inside of the tank, then light would be absorbed. However, light that reaches the outside of the glass where the paint is, I would think, would be light that would continue to travel to the wall behind it, and not return to the tank. So, respectfully, I would question that theory.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the only way the statement you read would makes sense is if you painted the back outside wall white, then all the light would bounce back. We need BRS Investigates:)

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question - is this (or any) type of paint aquarium safe?

Umm, the paint goes on the outside of the tank back. ;)

However if you are asking for other reasons (like painting PVC tubing), then Krylon is the prefered paint that is aquarium safe.

Dennis

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has done it many times. PAR near black rear pane is always lower than u painted sides and front. See and light review of theirs.

Kindly share the link. I suspect the back wall is from an AIO tank and not painted on the outside. I’m also courious if the drop is signifigant enough to make the statement. Thanks for sharing.

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with eschulist. No paint on the back glass makes the tank look larger, more open. Consider the color you want on the wall behind the tank that’s my preference.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back