What Coral is This

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shazreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shazreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2024
Messages
48
Reaction score
23
Location
Trinidad and Tobago
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

This thing is spreading quickly on this rock. It's also showed up on another rock about 3ft away. It doesn't seem to be attacking the discosoma mushroom next to it. What coral is this and how do I get this under control before it spreads to my other rocks?

20250503_195547.jpg
 
Looks like purple star polyps. I'd manually remove as much as you can with a razor or your bare hands. There's much more extreme ways to remove invasive soft coral too, just know that you probably won't be able to get it out of the tank without taking the rock out and baking it in the sun.
 
Thanks guys. I took out the rocks today and added them to bleach and water to get rid of it. Will leave it in there for a week and then try to brush off as much as possible before putting the rocks back in the tank. I rather lose my beneficial bacteria and coralline algae in those rocks than have to destroy the entire reef later on.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new