What coral to start with and which one

Reef Devils

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2023
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
9,622
Location
Durham, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add coral to my tank soon. I only have 2 clownfish at the moment. I have a 75 gallon display. What would be the best starter coral. I love the corals that flow with the water. Is an anemone a good one to start with.
IMG_0502.jpeg
 
Anemones prefer more mature tanks so that may not be your best option. There are many options - do you have a plan for your reef (LPS, SPS, softie, etc.)? I have found that a common zoa is often a good start.

Let's see if we can get some other input. @vetteguy53081 @fishguy242
 
Hi, how long has tank been running ? fully cycled ?
Duncan , toadstool, mushrooms, ?
i'd say no on nem being first added...JME
 
I want to add coral to my tank soon. I only have 2 clownfish at the moment. I have a 75 gallon display. What would be the best starter coral. I love the corals that flow with the water. Is an anemone a good one to start with.
IMG_0502.jpeg
The word Soon in this hobby is not always feasible as mentioned by PeaceRiver, you want to achieve maturity and stability with a newer tank. You will endure chemistry changes and spikes in ammonia and even nitrate. Anemone recommendation is at least 4 , preferably six months in age as they dont even like water changes which you will be doing a series of as tank is maturing.
For coral, some beginner coral is welcomed but I recommend no sooner that 8-10 weeks even 12 weeks.
What are beginner. . . Candy cane - zoa - xenia- leather such as devil hand or toadstool - Duncan and mushroom such as hairy mushroom or yuma
Realize both anemone and beginner coral have light and flow requirements and use this waiting period to perfect them so you have a happy home ready for their introduction.
 
A devils hand, finger leather, or toadstool would be good.
Keyna trees is a good softy to start with. It provides lots of movement and height. The reason for it being very easy and inexpensive is because its prone to spread.


Duncans are a very hardy lps. The polyps resemble a small nem. Quite easy to feed with a great feeding response. It's a very Forgiving lps.
 
The word Soon in this hobby is not always feasible as mentioned by PeaceRiver, you want to achieve maturity and stability with a newer tank. You will endure chemistry changes and spikes in ammonia and even nitrate. Anemone recommendation is at least 4 , preferably six months in age as they dont even like water changes which you will be doing a series of as tank is maturing.
For coral, some beginner coral is welcomed but I recommend no sooner that 8-10 weeks even 12 weeks.
What are beginner. . . Candy cane - zoa - xenia- leather such as devil hand or toadstool - Duncan and mushroom such as hairy mushroom or yuma
Realize both anemone and beginner coral have light and flow requirements and use this waiting period to perfect them so you have a happy home ready for their introduction.
Ok that answer help me out a lot I appreciate it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new