What corals do you see televised in the wild?

ChrisfromBrick

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2024
Messages
3,564
Reaction score
4,918
Location
Brick, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Every time I see a nature show, youtube video, etc that show coral reef in the wild, I see Montipora caps, acros, millipora, and what looks like stylophora.

It it me or do they never show giant zoa colonies, Euphyllia, and other softies or LPS? Wondering what a colony of Holy Grail looks like in the wild and why the average person that gets to see a "coral reef" on tv doesn't get to see those pieces.
 


I've seen some variety on you tube with footage from the Red Sea, 4K Relaxation channel. I think whoever films these vids make up different films, sometimes it loops after an hour. I found one raw video without music that said it was 9 hours long, I watched it a bit and it wasn't looped, actually had footage of a sunk ship with brain corals all over it.

One thing I see with some of the Red Sea mounds, lots of stonies, but softies like xenia tucked in the crevices as well as other soft corals right next to stonies. The kids also have good clear closeup shots as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new