What differentiates the genus Leptoseris from the genus Pavona?

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these two look nearly identical, can anyone help me understand what features set these two genus of coral apart?

Is it some small difference in the skeleton, behavior, or something else?

I know these two corals are in the same family and are closely related, but what specifically separates them into two genus when they look so similar? I'm curious why they've been classified this way (genuinely) and not trying to be a smart aleck. I want to learn about them

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taxonomy (I am trying to be a smart Aleck)

My weakest point in science, so I will leave room for a proper answer by a Taxonomist if one happens by?

Twelfth Doctor GIF by Doctor Who

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taxonomy (I am trying to be a smart Aleck)

My weakest point in science, so I will leave room for a proper answer by a Taxonomist if one happens by?

Twelfth Doctor GIF by Doctor Who
Taxonomy truly is the worst (not really, just being humorous). I had to study it quite a bit in college and it fascinates me just how much taxonomy consists of experts arguing with each other about how things should be categorized.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taxonomy truly is the worst (not really, just being humorous). I had to study it quite a bit in college and it fascinates me just how much taxonomy consists of experts arguing with each other about how things should be categorized.
That's right. So I think we agree that Pavona and Lepto can be safely combined without injury to the scientific method?

This was how they decided to split them in the first place:
Angry Fight GIF by IRN-BRU

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Joe Rowlett, they are the same:

https://reefs.com/pavona-leptoseris...lar study focusing,treated as a single genus.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly, Pavona has biracial fronds while Leptoseris has unifacial. Pavona also usually has a smooth corallum, while Leptoseris has bumps, wrinkles, etc. Another differentiating characteristic I have noticed is Leptoseris usually has meandering septo-costae while Pavona does not.
Of course, there are exceptions to this rule: sub-massive, encrusting, and lobed Pavona are, by definition, unifacial, and P. maldivensis has exert corallites.
Molecular analysis has called this classification into question--the 2017 study mentioned above revealed the polyphyletic nature of these two genera.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly, Pavona has biracial fronds while Leptoseris has unifacial. Pavona also usually has a smooth corallum, while Leptoseris has bumps, wrinkles, etc. Another differentiating characteristic I have noticed is Leptoseris usually has meandering septo-costae while Pavona does not.
Of course, there are exceptions to this rule: sub-massive, encrusting, and lobed Pavona are, by definition, unifacial, and P. maldivensis has exert corallites.
Molecular analysis has called this classification into question--the 2017 study mentioned above revealed the polyphyletic nature of these two genera.
Very interesting and good to know! Thank you for commenting, this is awesome info

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back