What do these tests say?

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
First time really testing my water. LFS guy said since i used a good dose of ammonia and Dr. Tim's One and Only i should test about 2 weeks after starting my cycle.

Well I got my test kit into so just checking to see what it is, and i'm not really sure, or even what it means in the cycle process. Sorry first time doing this.

It looks to me like Ammonia is still around 4 PPM ?? (it was a little higher last week when i started i think)

It looks like Nitrates are around 20 PPM ??

It looks like Nitrates are around .3 - .4 PPM ??

Is that a good thing???

Thanks

20200530_212354.jpg 20200530_212346.jpg 20200530_212331.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that if you do have substantial nitrite, the "measured" nitrate value may be way higher than actual nitrate.

1 ppm nitrite can read as 100 ppm nitrate with some kits.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that if you do have substantial nitrite, the "measured" nitrate value may be way higher than actual nitrate.

1 ppm nitrite can read as 100 ppm nitrate with some kits.
Randy,
I am using the API test strips and the Red Sea Master Test Kit to test Ammonia, Nitrates and Nirtrites. I think red sea is pretty accurate from what i read?

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool I have used this kit, flow it to the T and it will be successful, test weekly and wait for the nitrite to go to 0 then watch the nitrates fall to 5ppm ammonia to subside then add some fish, a water change towards the end helps also,

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool I have used this kit, flow it to the T and it will be successful, test weekly and wait for the nitrite to go to 0 then watch the nitrates fall to 5ppm ammonia to subside then add some fish, a water change towards the end helps also,
Cool glad to hear im on the right track! thx

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia yesterday was around 4-5 PPM and its been that way for about a week. I watched a video that said DR. Tims should absorb some of that ammonia?? and bring it down

BLAKsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have been lurking on R2R for a month or two now, and decided to finally register so I can reply since I wanted to help since I am currently cycling my tank and I can currently relate to your post.

I also am doing a fishless cycle with Dr. Tims + Ammonium Chloride. My advice to you is read up on these two links. It's what I've been following and it seems to be working out so far, it just takes time.
(Note: for me, it's taking a little longer than the schedule posted on the Dr Tim's website, so don't worry if yours doesn't match up exactly either -- just let it do it's thing)

Here are some important key takeaways I've found:

Fishless Cycling with DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria
In regards to adding ammonium chloride drops,
"When fishless cycling reduce the calculated water volume by about 20% to account for water displaced by substrate and decorations.
  1. For example, if you have a 30 gallon tank subtract 6 gallons (20%) so figure 24 gallons as the final volume.
  2. Use 4 drops AND ONLY 4 drops per gallon - is this case 24 gallons * 4 drops/gallon = 96 drops or 1 tsp."

Dr. Tim's - Quick Guide to Fishless Cycling
  • IMPORTANT - Do not let the ammonia OR nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm.
  • If either ammonia or nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm, do water changes to lower the concentration.
  • You do not have to add ammonia everyday - the bacteria do not have to be fed every day. Adding ammonia everyday will results in a sky-high nitrite reading and slow the cycling process.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have been lurking on R2R for a month or two now, and decided to finally register so I can reply since I wanted to help since I am currently cycling my tank and I can currently relate to your post.

I also am doing a fishless cycle with Dr. Tims + Ammonium Chloride. My advice to you is read up on these two links. It's what I've been following and it seems to be working out so far, it just takes time.
(Note: for me, it's taking a little longer than the schedule posted on the Dr Tim's website, so don't worry if yours doesn't match up exactly either -- just let it do it's thing)

Here are some important key takeaways I've found:

Fishless Cycling with DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria
In regards to adding ammonium chloride drops,
"When fishless cycling reduce the calculated water volume by about 20% to account for water displaced by substrate and decorations.
  1. For example, if you have a 30 gallon tank subtract 6 gallons (20%) so figure 24 gallons as the final volume.
  2. Use 4 drops AND ONLY 4 drops per gallon - is this case 24 gallons * 4 drops/gallon = 96 drops or 1 tsp."

Dr. Tim's - Quick Guide to Fishless Cycling
  • IMPORTANT - Do not let the ammonia OR nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm.
  • If either ammonia or nitrite concentration get above 5 ppm, do water changes to lower the concentration.
  • You do not have to add ammonia everyday - the bacteria do not have to be fed every day. Adding ammonia everyday will results in a sky-high nitrite reading and slow the cycling process.
I hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks Blake, opening the articles and reading them now. Thanks for the info as well!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back