What do yall do with your used saltwater from waterchanges

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
adding dirty water to a quarantine tank sounds counter intuitive..

can someone explain why it's beneficial??

I suppose if you are certain that there is nothing in the DT than you're just adding water with some elevated levels of nitrate.

But yeah - I would think keeping fish in a low stress environment would be better served by fresh saltwater.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Down the toilet is where it belongs. Salt kills grass and plants, destroys concrete, rusts metal, and destroys your wood. It belongs in the sea or on your steak.

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome im gonna have to try it
Just be careful, too much salt can eventually destroy the ground and prevent anything from growing there. After the weeds die off, make sure you wash the salt away and sufficiently dilute the salt to keep anything else from being killed.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it eventually ends up either down the drain or outside I am big on reusing saltwater. The parameters are great in my main display but I still religiously change about 12 gallons of water a week. The first couple are detritus removal then I take 10 "clean" gallons. That water gets reused in either my frag tank, or my other less critical display, or when my 10 gallon nano. If I have a qt tank going to the water can come from one of those tanks to the qt.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone’s joking about it but You can actually use your saltwater in your garden diluted down 1000:1
Or for even extra benefit you can ferment the sweater first and then apply it.
these are from Natural Farming techniques.

here’s a PDF from the University of Hawaii on it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo laundry???? J/K I'm sure it's an auto correct issue. :p

I pour mine on the rock area of my backyard to control weeds.
I’m not sure what you think is incorrect or an autocorrect...

Yes I said you can ferment the seawater. For fermented seawater you add some other natural farming inputs like FPJ (Fermented Plant Juice) which feed the microbes in the water and let them multiply. Those microbes make the trace elements in the seawater more bioavailable for your plants to use.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what you think is incorrect or an autocorrect...

Yes I said you can ferment the seawater. For fermented seawater you add some other natural farming inputs like FPJ (Fermented Plant Juice) which feed the microbes in the water and let them multiply. Those microbes make the trace elements in the seawater more bioavailable for your plants to use.

Hey I always ferment the sweater before I apply it. That's an interesting answer though. Do you still dilute the saltwater, how long do you let it ferment?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's clear water, this is my plan for the future:

1) First is to go through quarantine. I'll run the fish through the TTM first, and it's cheaper/easier to just put them through using water change water. The next step is praziquantel/metronidazole, so I use fresh mixed water for that (something something aquarium microfauna eats the prazi). With the TTM, after it's done, it goes to 3.

2) I also use it for culturing stuff like phytoplankton and zooplankton. I'll zap it with bleach first, leave it overnight, then after sodium thiosulfate treatment, I can just use it for rotifers, Parvocalanus, and various other stuff. With that, I'll then put it into step 3.

3) Finally, it'll go to kill weeds. They really really don't like it, and it does a great job of killing them on cement/brickwork/etc. Whatever excess will be flushed down the toilet at this point.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back