What do you consider to be the perfect size reef tank?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our reef tanks come in all different shapes and sizes, some being 5 gallons while others are 300+ gallons. I am wondering what do you consider to be the perfect size reef tank for your needs? Do you prefer a tank on the smaller spectrum or a "monster" tank?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many variables to this query --

What can you afford to maintain -

What size does the room support - I have been in small 1 bedroom apartments where a 300g tank is in the living room and it overwhelms the house -

What do you want to accomplish - A gallery of a zoas or acans, an LPS Display, a Softie Display, an acro jungle....

My choice for ideal tank size has always been what fits in the room. My prior 400g tank was 96x33x28.5 - 33 was the max depth of the wall it was on and 28.5 was the length of my arm from arm pit to finger tip - So I could reach the bottom without submerging. I thought that was the 'perfect size' for me and my home.

When that tank was replaced with a 560g is was 10' long - Now it was in the middle of the same room instead of against the wall and the room still supported the size - and the tank looked fantastic - 10' long 30" wide and 36" tall - These are supermodel dimensions for a beautiful display - But that 36" depth is so far from perfect. It's was impossible to reach into the tank to fix and mount things.

That tank was replaced by a 10'x48"x30" --- Not Fat and wide may not be a supermodel dimensions - but it is my personal dimensions and I think this is a pretty amazing set of dimensions. The 4' of depth from front to back is just phenomenal. And people are blown away by the depth of field to the tank, and it's only just beginning to grow.

And while room size is critical, just as important is budget. Spending all your funds on a big 240g tank and the cost to run and maintain it and not being able to fill it with beautiful life --- Well that's not perfect. I see tanks like this all the time where they spent their wad on the tank and forgot the costs for rock and livestock and big tank sits with a small pile of rock rubble in it just empty and desserted.

Dave B

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, for the inhabitants I like to keep, the type of aquascaping I enjoy, and the space I have available, "perfect" would be something between 72" and 96" long, 40" to 48" wide, 18" to 22" tall. My dream tank is a 96" diameter by 20" tall rimless cylinder!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me, 100g-120g because:
  • not too big for maintenance (i.e., I do not need a ladder or scuba gear to get to the bottom).
  • lighting costs for a 48" tank are reasonable*
  • large enough for a wow factor...especially rimless
  • can be rimless
  • can be moved by two people
  • salt and chemical costs are reasonable*
  • stocking costs are reasonable*
  • stand is large enough for most equipment to reside under tank (not including chiller and controller\head\power supplies)

* depending upon your definition of "reasonable" :grinning-face-with-sweat:

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • not too big for maintenance (i.e., I do not need a ladder or scuba gear to get to the bottom).
  • can be rimless
  • stand is large enough for most equipment to reside under tank (not including chiller and controller\head\power supplies)

this

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ~120 gal size is the ideal tank size. It permits the majority of fish and coral types that would satisfy most of us in the hobby. In addition, the costs, and maintenance would remain somewhat reasonable, and it's enough water volume to insulate from mistakes. It's also around the maximum permissible size where you don't have to worry about home structural issues.

That said, it's a bit too large for most people.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • can be rimless

This is a great answer!!

miguelvega76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what i want it would be 8 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot acrylic aquarium or a rimless one in a peninsula style.
I like tanks that are wide enough to do aquascaping with open space and you are still capable of reaching any corner with your hands . I hate tall tanks make maintenance more difficult. If it is simple and easy i would do it frequently . If i have to do contorsions to work on the tank i would not be that consistent. Another ideal for me in a more compact tank would be a 48 by 24 by 24 tank or a 24 cube. I think for me width of the tank is a big limiting factor so if i have to opt between a 5 foot tank that is 16 in width and one that is 4 foot but 24 in width i will pickup the 4 foot every time , it just makes easier to distribute the aquascape and figure out the flow .

Last edited:

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too small is no fun, too big is a lot to take on. i like the medium sized tanks for reef or planted setups75-120 gallons, decent water volume, easy to get an out of the box tank to use a a suitable sump and room to play and add fishes.

For FOWLR the bigger, the better!

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly happy with mine. It’s 5x2x2. It’s an odd size. In hind sight I would have preferred 6x3x2. 3ft would have been a little to high for me and harder to maintain. The extra length an depth would have been great though.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a 120g 4x2x2 has been perfect. No up-size bug, good for most fish, fits the living room without dominating and most important passes wife approval.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 inch 120. I made the mistake of getting a 90. I already have 2 75's and figured the 90 would be perfect. Now I realize that extra 6 inches would have opened up a hole new world and way better aquascape options. As said by @SPS2020 no extra cost on lights, minimal additional cost for maintenance and really no extra living space intrusion. .

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back