What do you do to support your reefing hobby?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you ever worked with an extremely stubborn dog that is obedient one day and complete meat head the next ?
Ever owned a basset hound/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When you buy, buy quality. If your tank looks good - avoid over-testing (I know thats heresy - but I rarely tested unless I sensed a problem). Avoid most supplements/foods/etc. I never use any coral food (but they always would eat 'small bits' of the food I did feed (This is heresy also). Lastly - don't buy a tank system you can't afford in the long run. @brandon429 has a tank in a jar. The costs rapidly rise when you're filling a 200 gallon tank as compared to a 20 gallon (or 2 gallon).

One thing I would say not to do - (even though I'm currently selling some used equipment) - don't buy used (a used tank is the main issue here).

Also - ask your LFS for a deal if you buy xxx things - corals, fish, etc.

Best wishes in the hobby
This may be wrong post as this thread is about what one does/did for a living. I think this was meant for a posting by Rev

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy, buy quality. If your tank looks good - avoid over-testing (I know thats heresy - but I rarely tested unless I sensed a problem). Avoid most supplements/foods/etc. I never use any coral food (but they always would eat 'small bits' of the food I did feed (This is heresy also). Lastly - don't buy a tank system you can't afford in the long run. @brandon429 has a tank in a jar. The costs rapidly rise when you're filling a 200 gallon tank as compared to a 20 gallon (or 2 gallon).

One thing I would say not to do - (even though I'm currently selling some used equipment) - don't buy used (a used tank is the main issue here).

Also - ask your LFS for a deal if you buy xxx things - corals, fish, etc.

Best wishes in the hobby
Did you mean to put this in this thread @MnFish1 ? :grimacing-face:

Just seemed a little out of place :grinning-face-with-sweat:

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am working on my degree for climatology, but atm im part of HR and trying to get a tank so I can frag. The concept of selling or trading frags is so unique and fun to me, I wanna collect a little bit of everything.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work at a lfs and got a generous 40% discount. That is how I afforded getting into saltwater and reef tanks. I had to leave that job to be a caregiver for my mother in law and that store is no longer in buisness.
This week my hubby is retiring so my plan is to keep easy to care for livestock so that the investment into the tank is not overly costly. My current system is 7 years old, very stable and I have kept fish for 10-15 years and some coral I have from my first reef back in the 90s. I run a KISS (keep it simple stupid) system with redundancy built in for pump and heater failure, the 2 most likely culprits to crash a tank. Other than that I just buy salt in bulk (Instant ocean).

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in outside sales for a wholesale distributor, selling to independent stores. We carry 23,000 products ranging from pet supplies / lawn and garden / animal health / equine/ aquatics and pond. No high end products in aquatics though, just marineland, aqueon, aquatop.

Hit me up if you're in the Northeast and have a store that needs to add a quality wholesale distributor ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I pull levers and mash buttons. Lots of typing too. It’s the best job in the world!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 135 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back