What do you feed your tank?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my LFS for black Friday and got some good deals and got my first bottle of phyto! I have reef roids I'll do once maybe twice a week (spot/broadcast) and then I feed fish a mix of Mysis/ Rods fish food/ Pellets twice a day. Question for you guys and gals, what do you feed your tanks, and what was the food that you started feeding and noticed the big change? Also any cool find on Black Friday as well? Happy reefing to you all!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i feed my fish my own DIY fish food. i think i made enough to last me the year, or more with roughly 70-80$ worth of materials(more or less depending what you want to include). i freeze it and feed 1 small cube daily to my 40g

before this i fed LRS reef frenzy nano, benepets/reef roids/reef chili, and tds chroma pellets

overall my fish seem to enjoy the food the same well, because the ingredients used were mostly the same with the addition of liquid additives and nori/red algae

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed my fish my own DIY fish food. i think i made enough to last me the year, or more with roughly 70-80$ worth of materials(more or less depending what you want to include). i freeze it and feed 1 small cube daily to my 40g

before this i fed LRS reef frenzy nano, benepets/reef roids/reef chili, and tds chroma pellets

overall my fish seem to enjoy the food the same well, because the ingredients used were mostly the same with the addition of liquid additives and nori/red algae
How about corals? Was there anything that you fed that they responded to better than other foods?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of stuff like phyto feast, oyster feast, and stuff like that in YouTube videos. Not too sure what it all is, but lots swear by it. Getting my tank to stabilize quite a lot moving into month 5 of it being up, and thinking about investing in some of these foods to supplement them. Just wondering what some of you guys love and why so I can get a better idea on what to look into as there is lots and lots of foods if you just generic search "coral foods" on google :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How about corals? Was there anything that you fed that they responded to better than other foods?
i do see a bit more polyp extension but nothing greatly different from before i fed DIY food. i noticed a bigger difference increasing flow.

i am battling low ALK and nutrient deficiency (hence why i made my own food), so it could just be that things haven’t leveled out yet

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do see a bit more polyp extension but nothing greatly different from before i fed DIY food. i noticed a bigger difference increasing flow.

i am battling low ALK and nutrient deficiency (hence why i made my own food), so it could just be that things haven’t leveled out yet
What is 'low' ALK for you? And by deficiency do you mean nitrates and phosphates? How old is your tank also?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate the main cube so to speak but I accompany every cube with a whole cube of calanus or other frozen pod/planktonic which makes a flurry of bits for fish and the corals too

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is 'low' ALK for you? And by deficiency do you mean nitrates and phosphates? How old is your tank also?
low ALK to me is anything below 8 in my SPS dominated tank. i do have aggressive filtration(2 clams, filter socks/polyfilter, skimmer, CUC, chaeto, and the corals in a 40B). i do feed heavy. tank is about 3yrs? but it’s been through a lot of ups and downs. at one point i had 7 fish in there and still low nutrients!

the DIY food was to aid in the low nutrients, and the skimmer/socks were offline for nearly a year. nutrients are slowly going back up which led me to bring the skimmer back online(with the addition of a recirculating co2 scrubber to help with PH as i am in a small apartment with a dog and GF). ALK is slowly getting to where i need it, but manually dosing does cause things to be unstable. battling bryopsis currently with fluc while tending to lower ALK and no3/po4

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back