What do you feel Naked without?

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little distraction discussion for Friday.

What is something that you consider 'must have' around your tank? A certain scraper for corraline, a lucky towel, a certain food concoction, maybe a home made tong for feeding?

What do you need to have in good working order? I'm not talking about RO, a tank that doesn't leak, a skimmer, etc. I'm talking about the little things, accessories like a properly calibrated Refractometer, PH probe, reef keeper, long tongs to keep your hands from getting wet for a feeding, etc.

Last edited:

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clothes! Oh wait...

I can't be without my $4 aluminum grabber tongs from Big Lots. It's the only one I could ever find that does the job I need and doesn't corrode with long term use. It's strong enough to aquascape the whole 34 inches of height and heavy items. Only four bucks, but I can't find them anymore. If I do I'm buying three spares.

Piece of equipment I have grown dependant on: Tunze Osmolator auto-top off. All others are junk by comparison and it's the one piece of equipment I wish I'd had since day one. The safety features keep me from worrying and its operation has been flawless. I check once weekly to make sure she's still working properly and clean the sensor. I evaporate about 5 gals per day, so this is a biggie...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread!

Honestly, very simply it's a towel draped over my shoulder! :D

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My towel over my shoulder and also turkey baster. I have a barred goby that keeps covering everything with sand so I am constantly dusting my corals. I just decided the other day that when I upgrade he will NOT be included in those plans.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) CLEAN towel because they came become nasty quick!!!
2) Baster
3) my fans to keep temps right
4) fine holed net to thaw out their food

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One dry hand so when I close my canopy I don't have one drip of water run perfectly down my forearm and on to my metal halide bulb causing a firework show for my clowns. :bigsmile:

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a towel and my flash light if i cant find the flash lite i go nuts love looking at the tank after the lites have been out for an hr or so and it has to be my LED flashlite!!!!!

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
all the good answers were taken...towel...turkey baster...so I choose cyanoacrylate adhesives (coraffix gel...etc)!

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a cool whip container to move coral in from up stairs and to frag in, plastic cup to put rods food in, and the trusty turkey baster to spread the food to where it needs to go :) i dont have a fish towel...i use paper tow in stead :( but the paper towel helps with cleaning the drips off the tank though :)

OP
OP
PrisonCityReef

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find plastic ones. Aluminum is a good idea though. I've found all sorts of gripper ones for planting / clipping aquariums.

Come on someone in retail. Whip up a batch of good tongs. I'm sick of my 'stainless' rusting all the dang time!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find plastic ones. Aluminum is a good idea though. I've found all sorts of gripper ones for planting / clipping aquariums.

Come on someone in retail. Whip up a batch of good tongs. I'm sick of my 'stainless' rusting all the dang time!

I have a pair of chopsticks that i use...smaller and easier to fit into spots....plus i find it ironic use a set of chopsticks :tongue:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back