Aquatic enchantment in your aquarium: Do you have any lucky corals?

Do you have any lucky corals?

• I have several lucky corals.

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • I have one lucky coral.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I don’t have a lucky coral now, but I have had one in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have never had a lucky coral, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • I don’t believe in luck or lucky corals.

Votes: 56 40.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It’s that time of year when there may be a little bit more talk about luck, the end of the rainbow, and a lot of people wearing green. Whatever luck is to you and however you define it, so reef keepers have lucky things related to their reef tanks. It may be a lucky cleaning towel, a lucky fish, a lucky coral, or the way that you do (or don’t do) water changes that you are convinced brings you luck. Of course, you may not believe in luck at all. Following a week of celebrations of things related to the Irish, we have to ask…do you have any lucky corals? If so, please show us pictures in the related discussion board!

EpicAquaculture_GreenCorals.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.” TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a massive torch colony (over 30 heads) that made it through every crash, and I often considered it my lucky coral. Unfortunately when things got really bad my luck ended—that’s when I knew I needed to fix a lot of things in the tank.
IMG_0499.jpeg

Other than that, I have a thick finger leather that was my very first coral, and is still going strong. So I suppose I’d consider that my lucky coral. Things would have to go very wrong if this one were to go away.
IMG_1178.jpeg

On day 1:
IMG_8921.jpeg

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble coral that survived a tank crash 7-8 years ago, I am pretty sure it is the only coral that survived - dropped all the way down to one head.

But it is still alive, up to 4 of its large heads after all these years.
PXL_20240219_014556013.jpg

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a lucky coral, it’s lucky because it’s an Acropora that survived in my tank a month after I added water to the tank. I basically cycled it, put fish in, and then a week later bought some live rock from a local reefer, and it had an Acropora on it, so far it’s been a year, and it has finally settled in, and started growing! If anyone is wondering, it was the first coral added to my tank, and it is an RRC Pink Cadillac.
IMG_1600.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s that time of year when there may be a little bit more talk about luck, the end of the rainbow, and a lot of people wearing green. Whatever luck is to you and however you define it, so reef keepers have lucky things related to their reef tanks. It may be a lucky cleaning towel, a lucky fish, a lucky coral, or the way that you do (or don’t do) water changes that you are convinced brings you luck. Of course, you may not believe in luck at all. Following a week of celebrations of things related to the Irish, we have to ask…do you have any lucky corals? If so, please show us pictures in the related discussion board!

EpicAquaculture_GreenCorals.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.” TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg
Which Coral is this? I want a frag!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't believe in luck, but I do believe in providing the right conditions for any given coral. If one does that, they don't need luck, LOL.
I don’t know… seen enough things by now to believe that at least a small part of this hobby is being at the right place at the right time (opposite is also true).

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several lucky corals. That is, lucky they are still alive! I've not been a very good coral owner while trying to sell our house.

ebaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my luckiest coral is my Duncan. Grew to the size of a softball from 3 (ish) heads, then mysteriously contracted some brown jelly bacterial problem. All sorts of dips and treatments to save it to no avail, but managed to save 3 heads, so back to the start. Very lucky I was able to save one of my oldest corals, something to be thankful for!

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpeg
    IMG_1830.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7627.jpeg
    IMG_7627.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 34

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "Lucky" Maxima clam. I got it the first couple of months of setting up my tank, and it has survived every single tank crash or beginner failure since. It even survived an extreme Kalkwasser dosage that left film on the glass that only time could take away.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not exactly what you're looking for but I have a goni that I consider a "hero coral".

It was pretty much dead. It looked like a white skeleton. At the time we were shutting down the 25g tank but kept it around for isolating new fish impulse purchases.

We moved the "dead" goni in there and ignored it. Sometimes we'd hit it with a blacklight and see hints of life. Now, you'd never know it struggled. It's doubled in size and didn't lose a single polyp.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were lucky that I discovered the big mistake I made in trying to " improve " my care. I bought a hang off back cheato grower. I did not realize how much care it needed. It filled with debris then was sending it into main tank. Almost lost all of my coral

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun question: This coral is “lucky” because it’s a colorless monti that typically wouldn’t make the cut of corals that I’d keep in my tank. But it’s grown so fast and it’s literally shot out in every direction. Up, back, down and so on. A very curious growth pattern. Now one of my favorites.
IMG_4350.jpeg

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "Lucky" Maxima clam. I got it the first couple of months of setting up my tank, and it has survived every single tank crash or beginner failure since. It even survived an extreme Kalkwasser dosage that left film on the glass that only time could take away.
That is a tough clam.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back