What do you keep in your refuge?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, when you dump your pods in the tank or fuge don't just dump them in the water. Get a clear plastic tube about 1 inch in diameter and long enough to reach down to the bottom, place the tube into the rock structure and pour the pods into the tube and give them time to settle in the rocks, pour tank water into the tube to flush any pods left over. Do this with all your pods in several areas of the tank. I turn my flow off for a few minutes also. If you dump them in the water column they might get filtered out. I think it may benefit the pods survival.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my fuge they grow all over the walls. I have scrap them off every other month.
Gotta find a nice piece of pest free reef rock with some sponges and dusters. Would be cool to see them colonize the 25 pounds of rock in the fuge under the chaeto that doesn't get much light

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, when you dump your pods in the tank or fuge don't just dump them in the water. Get a clear plastic tube about 1 inch in diameter and long enough to reach down to the bottom, place the tube into the rock structure and pour the pods into the tube and give them time to settle in the rocks, pour tank water into the tube to flush any pods left over. Do this with all your pods in several areas of the tank. I turn my flow off for a few minutes also. If you dump them in the water column they might get filtered out. I think it may benefit the pods survival.
I have a piece of pvc I use to put them in my display right above the pod hotel. I shut my system down for about 30 mins before adding them and turn it on about 30 mins after.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my fuge besides chaeto.

Mushrooms and cyano

20230127_171930.jpg

Clams and cyano

20230127_171922.jpg

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dads old refugium had a couple of crabs, few snails, a murderous maroon clownfish that was rehomed (killed a younger clown tang), coral croucher (impulse buy) and a sand sifter.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has mentioned it, but for almost 27 years I have used 1” of Ecosystem Aquarium Miracle Mud in all my refugiums. Best thing if you want microfauna along with nutrient reducing algae. My refugiums have amphipods, copepods, mysis shrimp, and many different kinds of worms.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back