What do you use to fill the 5 mL test tubes?

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic question....

I am going crazy trying to fill the API test kit tubes to the 5 mL line by dunking them in the tank. I am thinking a big 20 mL syringe is the way to go, but 1) where to get some, and 2) is there a better way?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your local pharmacist and/or vet will also have them. I also usually have one or two that were left over form old test kits too.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 5ml syringe that you can get at the pharmacy free with kids medicine. I have several around the house. they work wonderfully.

Johmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the large syringes at a livestock supply or feed store usually. This is by far the easiest way I have found to fill the little tubes.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A syringe is a great idea! I have a small 7 oz cylinder I use to fill the test tubes... I have shaky hands these days so maybe I should invest in a syringe...

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a syringe as well. I just snag one from work when needed.

nhago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a turkey blaster. Works much better than dunking it! A syringe is a great idea also!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just dip mine in the dt after i had cleaned them with ro/di water- 6inches from the top, dump excess back into the tank. i don't trust using my turkey baster (even though it's cleaned).

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dedicated pippette that way i know its clean. Like it better than my turkey basted as it is easy to control the drops. Syringe would work too.

OP
OP
M

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic pipettes Plastic Transfer Pipettes 3ml,Gradulated,Pack of 100: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I have 100 of them and would be happy to give you 10.

Thanks for the offer! Remind if you're one of the folks who works on the arsenal. If not, it will be more cost effective for me to just order a batch or check at my local vet or pharmacy. We may even have some kids' medicine droppers, but they've probably been washed with dish soap in the past. When I picked up a syringe from the pharmacy, the largest they had was 3 mL, but I didn't think to look for horse-sized applications.

Good tips here, folks!

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5 ml syringe to make it easy on myself. Takes the gestimation out of it

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they've probably been washed with dish soap in the past

Although it is safer to disinfect tools for aquariums with a weak bleach solution, I often wash my containers with Dawn. As long as they are rinsed well afterward, the washed container does not seem to affect anything in my reef tank.

Fresh water trilobite-like creature called tadpole shrimp (aka a living fossil) is quite another matter, though. I found that out the hard way...

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I just use a 5mL syringe and ignore the line. I think i got the syringe from a multi test kit or something. I also have some 10mL ones so i can do my testing with less draws if Im feeling lazy, but I feel that decreases precision and accuracy of the 5mL

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I just use a 5mL syringe and ignore the line

Have you noticed that these lines are not very accurate anyways? The actual volume/the 5 ml line seems to differ from a manufacturer to a manufacturer. Although a syringe is more accurate, I wonder if the line on the test tube may be calibrated to the a manufacturer's reagent volume.

However, I figure the measuring consistency and the trend of the results are more important that the slight difference in the line on a test tube and the actual 5 ml menicus.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed that these lines are not very accurate anyways? The actual volume/the 5 ml line seems to differ from a manufacturer to a manufacturer. Although a syringe is more accurate, I wonder if the line on the test tube may be calibrated to the a manufacturer's reagent volume.

However, I figure the measuring consistency and the trend of the results are more important that the slight difference in the line on a test tube and the actual 5 ml menicus.
+1 one on consistency is what matter and noticing trends. I figure that the line was etched or painted on in a cheap glass manufacturing procedure. Syringes are more accurate and I think the directions for API test kit says to use 5mL or the line in the tube. I think that if they were calibrated for the line they would not say 5mL in the direction. ANyway as you mentioned consistency is what matters because its when we notice changes that something is wrong so as long as we do it the same every time and levels are consistent we are good to go.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when we notice changes that something is wrong so as long as we do it the same every time and levels are consistent

It can also reveal the situation of something going wrong with a test kit, too.

Recently I found out that my API dKH test kit (with no expiration date) has gone bad. I was wondering why my alkalinity had been on the rise although nothing has changed much. I happened to have a new bottle (again no expiration date) on hand and retested my alkalinity. The new test kit gave me a very different number (10 vs. 14). I still need to ask someone else with a good test kit to double check my new result, but "10" is more like where I should have been.

WesW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer! Remind if you're one of the folks who works on the arsenal. If not, it will be more cost effective for me to just order a batch or check at my local vet or pharmacy. We may even have some kids' medicine droppers, but they've probably been washed with dish soap in the past. When I picked up a syringe from the pharmacy, the largest they had was 3 mL, but I didn't think to look for horse-sized applications.

Good tips here, folks!

I live in Athens but I'm usually in Huntsville once or twice a week. I'll actually be in Huntsville today so just shoot me a PM if you want some of the pipettes. It is a little annoying that it is less than 5 mL and you have to fill it up twice. I might have to upgrade to the 5 mL syringe myself. I do like these 3 mL pipettes for spot feeding.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mikes merchandise has all kinds if cool stuff for your tanks. I got a bunch of 10ml syringes and bone cutters there. You just have look around the store. I live that place.

Back