What effect does high magnesium have on corals?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested my Mg for a while because I dose reef fusion which has calcium and mg in the same bottle. I tested it today with Salifert and I got around 1800 (1.2ml). My calcium was creping up a little while ago, so I assume that's why the Mg is high.

The reason I ask is because I suddenly lose seemingly healthy SPS corals. My birdsnests will grow like weeds for months, then suddenly stop opening and die. My favia is also not doing well, but I think that's because I had a rogue emerald crab picking at it. LPS corals, chalice, zoas all seem fine.

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know the exact answer to this question, but I dont think the MG alone would cause the issues your describing. I was running my MG super high around 1800 for several months a while back bc i had a bad test kit and it took me a while to get it down around 1350 and all of my corals were totaly fine and actualy grew well. I have a mixed reef feom sps, lps and softies. I figure something else was weong as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked salinity recently? If reed fusion was the source, it means Seachem designed or manufactured it poorly. A properly designed two part would not do that.

It might also be testing error. Have you tried that kit on some new salt water?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked salinity recently? If reed fusion was the source, it means Seachem designed or manufactured it poorly. A properly designed two part would not do that.

It might also be testing error. Have you tried that kit on some new salt water?
My Salinity had creeped up due to me not calibrating my refractometer. It's back to 35ppt now. New salt mix (LA pro salt) is about 1350-1400.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back