What else should I dose?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the Reef Dose 2 (the Red Sea brand doser that has two dosing units). I am using All For Reef and am starting the process of finding out how much I need to dose for that particular supplement. I also use Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix.

My question is, besides All For Reef, what else should I dose so I can make use of the second dosing unit? amino acids? Or should I first get the correct amount of dosing for All For Reef established, and then see if there is a particular supplement I should dose if All For Reef is missing out on a particular supplement?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't determined that you need to dose your tank you shouldn't dose anything like all for reef yet. You need to determine alk consumption by testing at the same time each day over a 3 day period as a starting point. If your tank is under a year old and you do weekly water changes you might not need to dose anything also.

OP
OP
W0terMoist

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't determined that you need to dose your tank you shouldn't dose anything like all for reef yet. You need to determine alk consumption by testing at the same time each day over a 3 day period as a starting point. If your tank is under a year old and you do weekly water changes you might not need to dose anything also.
My tank is 45 gal, 3 years old, and is absolutely ripping through calcium and alk. So yeah, I gotta dose. If I didnt need to dose, then I wouldn't be dosing All For Reef right now.

Becuase I need to dose, and have been dosing seperate supplemts, I decided to get All For Reef to simplify dosing. And since All For Reef is different from just KH supplement and Calcium supplement, I must determine the amount I need to dose for All For Reef over the coming weeks (since the amount to dose for this mixture supplement is probably different than the mono supplements I have been dosing). So in short, just assume I need to dose (because I do).

Attachments

• 20231121_184053.jpg
    20231121_184053.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 31

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 45 gal, 3 years old, and is absolutely ripping through calcium and alk. So yeah, I gotta dose. If I didnt need to dose, then I wouldn't be dosing All For Reef right now.

Becuase I need to dose, and have been dosing seperate supplemts, I decided to get All For Reef to simplify dosing. And since All For Reef is different from just KH supplement and Calcium supplement, I must determine the amount I need to dose for All For Reef over the coming weeks (since the amount to dose for this mixture supplement is probably different than the mono supplements I have been dosing). So in short, just assume I need to dose (because I do).
Ok, I would still determine alk consumption because that gives you a baseline for most dosing requirements.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should I first get the correct amount of dosing for All For Reef established, and then see if there is a particular supplement I should dose if All For Reef is missing out on a particular supplement?
^^That..

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All For reef has primary and trace elements included so when you combine it with water changes it should cover everything. Alk and cal get consumed in similar amounts proportionally. Magnesium depletes at 1/10th this rate. Trace elements deplete in very small levels so typically water changes replenish these. All For Reef has everything in one dosing mix but I'm still pretty sure it's based on alk consumption initially. Check their site. It's better to under dose slightly at first and slowly increase to get your preferred numbers rather then overdose and have to wait for it to come down again. Depending on type of corals you have you don't want more the .5dkh alk swing or maybe 1 dkh at most but that's risky with SPS.

Just for reference, I dose 45ml of alk and cal daily on a heavily stocked 65g DT

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back