What fish are you stocking in a 29 reef?

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to stick my 29 gallon tank (no lid) and wondering what you all like? Looking to fill out the floor, middle and upper portions with different fish.

Currently:
Mated Maroon clowns (pair)
Lawnmower blenny
3 green chromis

IMG_1390.JPG

OP
OP
TimKosel

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, what age? I have heard this as well, but I have had them (through different tanks 29bio cube, 20L, now this 29) over about 2 1/2 years and they have been pretty docile. In fact I got rid of the damsel I had added at the same time as them because he pinned them in a corner and the clowns were too scared to come out. The blenny can sit right next to them and they take no notice to him. The chromis swims right through their territory with no problems as well.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please get a lid. Easy to make our buy a kit cheap on eBay. With that said, you may want to add a few more pounds of live Rock to have some hiding space and to break the line of sight.
Other cool fish to add after you get your screen top:
Six line wrasse, or other small flasher wrasse, Royal Gramma, Neon goby, larger watchman goby for the bottom area like a yellow watchman, Randall's Shrimp goby, smaller pygmy Angel (add last) like a flame back or cherub. Good luck!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, what age? I have heard this as well, but I have had them (through different tanks 29bio cube, 20L, now this 29) over about 2 1/2 years and they have been pretty docile. In fact I got rid of the damsel I had added at the same time as them because he pinned them in a corner and the clowns were too scared to come out. The blenny can sit right next to them and they take no notice to him. The chromis swims right through their territory with no problems as well.
At 2.5yrs old a female maroon clown should be about 4", maybe bigger, and the pr should have begun laying eggs. If they are not doing this than something is stunting their growth.

OP
OP
TimKosel

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it only seems like that long, female is about 3 - 3.25 inches. Do they become more aggressive when they start to lay eggs? Maybe this is why they seem more peaceful?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females can be pretty aggressive before they start spawning. Once they start spawning it gets much worse.

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean aquariums for people, and one of my customers had a female maroon that was around 4.5 inches long that would draw blood occasionally while we were scrubbing that glass... Another customer had a female that was almost 5.5 inches and she was the most docile fish in that aquarium. The awesome/annoying thing with salt water fish is that each one of them seems to have its own personality! Good luck.
+1 on a flasher wrasse and watchman goby, or perhaps a jawfish if your rockwork is placed well and burrowing isn't a worry for you.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire shrimp would be fine. They would count as cleaners not added bio-load so that is an advantage.
I would not get a jawfish without a tight lid. I have lost way too many of them to jumping even with an eggcrate top.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has capped out at 2 Clowns, purple firefish and 1 blue green chromis. Everyone is happy and the firefish runs it.

OP
OP
TimKosel

TimKosel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7a2792ddb7d3e0dfda1c9f5552ae6af4.jpg

I just put this on last night, so I will probably just close the front and back and shouldn't need a screen. Thanks for all the advice, probably just going to add slowly and keep a close eye on behavior. Seems like it could go either way, but worse comes to worse I will take the Maroons back to the lfs for a more docile clown pair (if they become to aggressive). I would rather have more fish than those particular clowns. However I do think Maroons are the best clowns.

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 30 gallon frag tank, 24x24x12 houses baby twinspot and sixline wrasses, an algae blenny, baby Whitetail yellow eye tang, and baby foxface lo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back