What fish/invert "makes" your tank and why

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm slowly adding fish to a 120g, but I want to know what fish and inverts are your favorite in your tank and why? Any interesting behaviors? Super active? Colors that really pop?

Tell me all about it!

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have alot of anthias and love their colors.. my favorite fish, they are just hard as some don't get along and their Dynamics are allways changing
This is the only picture I have on my phone

IMG_20181206_111525.jpg

IMG_20181206_111523.jpg

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Haddoni carpet and pair of clarkii that inhabit it. Always been my favorite thing in the hobby. I equally love my pair of flame hawkfish tho. The way they hop around and check things out it awsome. And of course watching the symbiotic relation of the clownfish anemone is just sweet. When my Male clarkii takes big chunks of food and feeds the carpet by nestling it into the edge of it is awsome as well.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have alot of anthias and love their colors.. my favorite fish, they are just hard as some don't get along and their Dynamics are allways changing
This is the only picture I have on my phone

IMG_20181206_111525.jpg

IMG_20181206_111523.jpg
Anthias are beautiful fish! Which ones of yours don't get along? What do you like about them aside from color?

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Haddoni carpet and pair of clarkii that inhabit it. Always been my favorite thing in the hobby. I equally love my pair of flame hawkfish tho. The way they hop around and check things out it awsome. And of course watching the symbiotic relation of the clownfish anemone is just sweet. When my Male clarkii takes big chunks of food and feeds the carpet by nestling it into the edge of it is awsome as well.
Awesome! There's a reason clowns and anemones bring so many people into the hobby :)

How often do you get to see that symbiotic feeding response?

Do you keep any shrimp small gobies and inverts with your hawk? They are so cool to watch (and beautiful to boot) but l worry about it going on a killing spree.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are beautiful fish! Which ones of yours don't get along? What do you like about them aside from color?
The male Bi-color doesn't like one of my female
carberryi Also my female leyretail can be a bully. I'm not sure my spelling is correct. If I could do it over I would get only carberryi and ingnias anthias maybe Bartlett's but they can be agressive as well.
I have a sunset and she is really pretty.
They are really active and allways swimming

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male Bi-color doesn't like one of my female
carberryi Also my femail leyretail can be a bully. I'm not sure my spelling is correct. If I could do it over I would get only carberryi and ingnias anthias maybe Bartlett's but they can be agressive as well.
I have a sunset and she is really pretty.
They are really active and allways swimming
Which one is your favorite?

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! There's a reason clowns and anemones bring so many people into the hobby :)

How often do you get to see that symbiotic feeding response?

Do you keep any shrimp small gobies and inverts with your hawk? They are so cool to watch (and beautiful to boot) but l worry about it going on a killing spree.
I get to see this almost everytime I feed my fish. The clarkii will wait until he gets a big chunk that he knows is right for the nem. My big female wont feed but the Male will feed every chance he gets, its awsome. It only happens when I feed plankton tho, it contains big pieces of plankton which the Male clarkii deams worthy.
I keep snails and hermits with my flames. Also a Japanese snapping shrimp. They don't seem to bother the inverts but I do keep them well fed. At least once a day until they are satisfied. About 1 cube of whatever I'm feeding. I feel if I didn't keep them fed and happy they would take more interest into my snails and hermits.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d concur on the clown-anemone symbiosis. Always try to have them in my tanks. The only caveat is that the true host anemones are quick tricky to acclimate and maintain. Big fan of pseudoanthias as well. Again, tricky because their natural social structures require lots of space and frequent feedings. I also like the interactions between my cleaner wrasse and bigger tangs. Though not an easy fish and requires space.

E111B8B4-0A33-437E-B27D-C4384C4C88D3.jpeg

Bergs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my marine beta. Beautiful addition and totally docile. 200g mixed reed. 160g display. Lots of other fish big and small - including 3 tangs (powder blue, purple and blue,) flame angel, fox face, clowns, pajamas, Anthias, chromis, etc. marine beta is incredible addition.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my marine beta. Beautiful addition and totally docile. 200g mixed reed. 160g display. Lots of other fish big and small - including 3 tangs (powder blue, purple and blue,) flame angel, fox face, clowns, pajamas, Anthias, chromis, etc. marine beta is incredible addition.
They are stunning fish! I have heard they sometimes eat little fish like gobies. Have you experienced that?

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d concur on the clown-anemone symbiosis. Always try to have them in my tanks. The only caveat is that the true host anemones are quick tricky to acclimate and maintain. Big fan of pseudoanthias as well. Again, tricky because their natural social structures require lots of space and frequent feedings. I also like the interactions between my cleaner wrasse and bigger tangs. Though not an easy fish and requires space.

E111B8B4-0A33-437E-B27D-C4384C4C88D3.jpeg
What's the cleaner wrasse's favorite fish to clean?

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My potters angelfish is what seems to draw the most attention in my tank, followed by my mandarin and fire shrimp. My Potter’s eats pretty much anything and leaves coral alone.
e8cdee6efce02cb833a5704cc81a6a30.jpg

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of my original CUC was a fighting conch, he's been with me the longest of anything in the tank and always makes me smile to see him making his rounds.
Awesome! Do you think you like it more because of nostalgia, or do you just like the way it eats?
My potters angelfish is what seems to draw the most attention in my tank, followed by my mandarin and fire shrimp. My Potter’s eats pretty much anything and leaves coral alone.
e8cdee6efce02cb833a5704cc81a6a30.jpg
I loveeeee angelfish! I am so interested in one, but I am always afraid for my corals. You hear so many successes then one massive horror story and it is hard to look past lol. How big is yours?
Bannerfish. Extremely active, graceful, colorful, and cool!
How had I never heard of that fish before!? It is gorgeous! Do you have just 1 or a school?

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angelfish is about 2 inches long right now. I feed my tanks twice a day, so he’s really well fed. I’ve heard that is a big part of keeping them away from your corals. I have a mixed reef with lots of lps and zoas, and he leaves them alone

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angelfish is about 2 inches long right now. I feed my tanks twice a day, so he’s really well fed. I’ve heard that is a big part of keeping them away from your corals. I have a mixed reef with lots of lps and zoas, and he leaves them alone
Is it a fairly aggressive fish

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with marine betta. Moved mine to its new tank the other day and it's a little over 7" now. Not had a problem with any fish being eaten (although it used to stalk my mandarin) but shrimps are definitely on the menu.

Hawkfish are also great as they are real character fish that spend as much time watching you as you do them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back