What Giesemann spectra to choose for 96x48x33 sps tank.

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, specially the MH experts. As title states I’m trying to change lights on my 96Lx48Wx33D. Not sure if I should go 48inch (2x400w) units across the length probably 3 will be more than enough
( website states 170 x 100 x 110 cm coverage )
Cost 8700nzd

Or go 4x 48inch in two rows length wise edge to edge.
Cost 11600nzd

Or 2x 72inch (3x400w) two rows along the length; ( website says 250x100x110 cm coverage)
Cost 7000nzd
Thanks in advance for advice.
House runs on solar so electricity bill is not an issue.

10x radions will be 17000$ nzd
Reefi uno 13x 15300$ nzd

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" Geisseman fitted w 2 250mh's and 4 48" tubes is 700-ish watts per fixture

Based ONLY in your tank geometry, volume,
Geisseman recommendations.
170 x 100 x 80 cm
67" x 39" x 31"
17" wide
3 "sideways" so as to match the tank width.
57" needed of your 96"
Basically each fixture covers a 32"x 48" area

2100w over a 700gal deep tank.

4x48 works.
2800w.. Growing Cannabis?

So " old school" 3 or 4 wpg?

Both will spill some light either front/back or side to side. Amount will depend on hanging height.

I'd stick with " standard" size bulbs. 24" or 48". Personally just seems an easier and safer choice.

You may want to peek at Orpheks Amazonia icons. More of a " commercial" type led.

10 unos are $4800US (7778nzd)
2700 watts total
13 is $6240US (10112nzd)

Besides other Orpheks and Geisseman Can probably advise you.
Note what your goal was not included in the above. Just a " food for thought" exercise.

OP
OP
S

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" Geisseman fitted w 2 250mh's and 4 48" tubes is 700-ish watts per fixture

Based ONLY in your tank geometry, volume,
Geisseman recommendations.
170 x 100 x 80 cm
67" x 39" x 31"
17" wide
3 "sideways" so as to match the tank width.
57" needed of your 96"
Basically each fixture covers a 32"x 48" area

2100w over a 700gal deep tank.

4x48 works.
2800w.. Growing Cannabis?

So " old school" 3 or 4 wpg?

Both will spill some light either front/back or side to side. Amount will depend on hanging height.

I'd stick with " standard" size bulbs. 24" or 48". Personally just seems an easier and safer choice.

You may want to peek at Orpheks Amazonia icons. More of a " commercial" type led.

10 unos are $4800US (7778nzd)
2700 watts total
13 is $6240US (10112nzd)

Besides other Orpheks and Geisseman Can probably advise you.
Note what your goal was not included in the above. Just a " food for thought" exercise.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I have been thinking about 48inch fixtures as well. Easier to ship by air freight too as compared to 72inch.

I had long discussion with the guy from reefi he number ended up being 12-13. someone I know bought two lights and highly recommend it. Lights look awesome on his tank. The nzd value is mentioned is of light+adapters+shipping+ import fee, levy, duty and 15gst when importing. Current currency rate 1nzd=0.58 when purchasing.

Plus if I go with spectra I can make separate orders or all together as shipping per unit is same due to the shipping weight and size but I can save on import expenses.
If I do the same with reefi it gets even expensive.

Aren’t Amazons quite expensive?

OP
OP
S

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed answer. I have been thinking about 48inch fixtures as well. Easier to ship by air freight too as compared to 72inch.

I had long discussion with the guy from reefi he number ended up being 12-13. someone I know bought two lights and highly recommend it. Lights look awesome on his tank. The nzd value is mentioned is of light+adapters+shipping+ import fee, levy, duty and 15gst when importing. Current currency rate 1nzd=0.58 when purchasing.

Plus if I go with spectra I can make separate orders or all together as shipping per unit is same due to the shipping weight and size but I can save on import expenses.

For got to mention, I did contact Giesemann they recommended 2x 48” units. Seems like misunderstanding so wrote them back and waiting for an answer.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Believe they are about $1000 U S

Tidal Gardens uses them,maybe write to them. Ask about longevity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe they are about $1000 U S

Tidal Gardens uses them,maybe write to them. Ask about longevity.
I contacted orphek after reading your reply. They recommend 3x with 60” lens. Will see how much space I have between ceiling and top of tank to give them more information.

Saw the tidal garden video as well. Than got 8 units on 10-12ft tank I think, think it’s 48 wide so I’d probably need 6. Have sent tidal gardens email will write here once I hear back.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted orphek after reading your reply. They recommend 3x with 60” lens. Will see how much space I have between ceiling and top of tank to give them more information.

Saw the tidal garden video as well. Than got 8 units on 10-12ft tank I think, think it’s 48 wide so I’d probably need 6. Have sent tidal gardens email will write here once I hear back.
Yea my "napkin" puts the height needed at 4 ft from water line to ceiling. Assuming the 10.8" height of the light includes the bracket.
Shorter is doable if one considers that some upper few inches of tank don't need full coverage.
My "go to" is to try to match the surface area with the light cone (spread)
with little "spill".
Using beam angles can be a bit tricky and some trial and error is needed.
Technically the way the lens/reflector manuf. rates it is at FWHM. In other words where the edge of the cone of light is 1/2 the intensity of the highest reading (usually the center).
Point is you have some "slop" outside the recommended area.
fwhm.JPG

Not sure their recommended height.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, specially the MH experts. As title states I’m trying to change lights on my 96Lx48Wx33D. Not sure if I should go 48inch (2x400w) units across the length probably 3 will be more than enough
( website states 170 x 100 x 110 cm coverage )
Cost 8700nzd

Or go 4x 48inch in two rows length wise edge to edge.
Cost 11600nzd

Or 2x 72inch (3x400w) two rows along the length; ( website says 250x100x110 cm coverage)
Cost 7000nzd
Thanks in advance for advice.
House runs on solar so electricity bill is not an issue.

10x radions will be 17000$ nzd
Reefi uno 13x 15300$ nzd
The amount of watts used will depend on optimal coverage for a superb reef! You have such a big wide system and everyone knows the bigger the tank the more investment to make it run as it should! 48" wide is pretty wide!
I would get 4 X 48" long Spectras no doubt!
I would use 400W halides and ATI blue plus bulbs!
You could try to get only 2 Spectras only if you want to leave lots of space around the center. I would get 4 regardless!
Gotta love Acros in a system like that!!!!!
Getting 4 48" fixtures will always allow you to play turning the lights on and off for perfect utilization anyways. Lot's of T5s is always great too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my "napkin" puts the height needed at 4 ft from water line to ceiling. Assuming the 10.8" height of the light includes the bracket.
Shorter is doable if one considers that some upper few inches of tank don't need full coverage.
My "go to" is to try to match the surface area with the light cone (spread)
with little "spill".
Using beam angles can be a bit tricky and some trial and error is needed.
Technically the way the lens/reflector manuf. rates it is at FWHM. In other words where the edge of the cone of light is 1/2 the intensity of the highest reading (usually the center).
Point is you have some "slop" outside the recommended area.
fwhm.JPG

Not sure their recommended height.
I can play with 42-48inch space for mounting height. I think they have 90 lens as well.
It will still be point source light if I only go 3units right?

Their website have some confusing numbers
One says: The Amazonas 960 iCon has perfect spread for: 43″ x 39″/ 110cm x 100cm SPS & LPS coral reef aquariums.

With this par map

Then another one says: peak value very high, as it is close to 1000 PAR at depth of 110cm /43″

Leaning more towards Giesemann from the information I have on my hand atm

OP
OP
S

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of watts used will depend on optimal coverage for a superb reef! You have such a big wide system and everyone knows the bigger the tank the more investment to make it run as it should! 48" wide is pretty wide!
I would get 4 X 48" long Spectras no doubt!
I would use 400W halides and ATI blue plus bulbs!
You could try to get only 2 Spectras only if you want to leave lots of space around the center. I would get 4 regardless!
Gotta love Acros in a system like that!!!!!
Getting 4 48" fixtures will always allow you to play turning the lights on and off for perfect utilization anyways. Lot's of T5s is always great too!
Giesemann recommended 3 once I sent them the picture with size comparison this morning

IMG_6804.jpeg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can play with 42-48inch space for mounting height. I think they have 90 lens as well.
It will still be point source light if I only go 3units right?

Leaning more towards Giesemann from the information I have on my hand atm
No at higher height, even with the 60 you get more of a blanket coverage. 10" into the tank and its no longer anything like a point source.
A narrow beam fixture (i.e. 45 degrees lens LED light bar) hung high above the tank, gives a much more even spread within the tank environment compared to a wide angled fixture sitting tank top. If the lens quality is good, there is little light loss due to dispersion even though the fixture is hung high.

If one honestly compares it will be more diffuse than the 250W MH's. Of course you have the t5's to compensate.
In the spirit of fun.. all I think about is changing 24 bulbs either yearly or biennial-ly.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wattage (400W) has to do with how deep the tank is.
Each Giesemann Spectra will cover about 24" on the width from the center of the reflector.
The width of your system is 48", so you will need 2 on each side to cover well. The intersection will have that boost!
The length of the system is 96". If you put 3 fixture the way you have on the 3rd image there you will be trying to cover about every 32" instead.
Just remember the Spectra reflector isn't anything like the old Cayman or a Cozumel.
You could buy 3 first and see how you like. Everyone thinks differently.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their website have some confusing numbers
One says: The Amazonas 960 iCon has perfect spread for: 43″ x 39″/ 110cm x 100cm SPS & LPS coral reef aquariums.

With this par map

Then another one says: peak value very high, as it is close to 1000 PAR at depth of 110cm /43″
WEll that may be lens dependent. Narrow reflectors vs another. I agree that they aren't always very clear but keep in mind that in a sense, changing lenses is like a different light. I can probably get 1000 PAR out of my flashlight, on an area of about 1 sq inch.. :)

Last edited:

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Giesemann and ATI are the benchmark in reef lighting, IMHO.

But why such an older model?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 4x 48 inches over that foot print. EDIT - 4x of the 250w versions. If you go 400w, then 3x might work.

I have both Infiniti and Spectra. You like need 4x Radion xr30s to cover and have similar power to each 48 inch unit - Radions will need turned long-wise every foot to cover 12x24 inches. 10 Radions won't give you the same light, although it might be fine if you never needed that much light in the first place.

It looks like they still have MegaChrome bulbs. See if they will discount you a set or two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sandeep Brar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No at higher height, even with the 60 you get more of a blanket coverage. 10" into the tank and its no longer anything like a point source.

If one honestly compares it will be more diffuse than the 250W MH's. Of course you have the t5's to compensate.
In the spirit of fun.. all I think about is changing 24 bulbs either yearly or biennial-ly.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Orphek came back to recommend 4x Atlantic icons + compact instead. 10x Amazona would be required with mounting space available between ceiling and tank top

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back