What growing on my goni

idxnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3dd5c4d8beabd44564a2ce829ddb169e.jpg

What is the bubble looking stuff on my goni?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubble algae from the looks for it. you have that in any other place in tank? might wanna check nitrate and phosphate.

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of bubble algae. Doesn't have much to do with nutrients. If that's the first you've seen of it in your tank, might want to at the least take it out and scrub the hell out of the bubble algae with hydrogen peroxide being careful not to actually touch the coral. If you're like me, you may wanna think about how much time/effort it's going to take to MAYBE get rid of it one day...

Would highly recommend NOT trying to remove the bubble while the frag is still in or above the tank. Get some tank water in a separate container (tupperware/whatever) and work on it there. Discard the water when you're done. If you don't physically remove ALL of it, you'll still have your problem.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that a new frag? could have come with the coral if it is only on the coral frag plug/ coral and just grew over time on it

OP
OP
I

idxnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of bubble algae. Doesn't have much to do with nutrients. If that's the first you've seen of it in your tank, might want to at the least take it out and scrub the hell out of the bubble algae with hydrogen peroxide being careful not to actually touch the coral. If you're like me, you may wanna think about how much time/effort it's going to take to MAYBE get rid of it one day...

Would highly recommend NOT trying to remove the bubble while the frag is still in or above the tank. Get some tank water in a separate container (tupperware/whatever) and work on it there. Discard the water when you're done. If you don't physically remove ALL of it, you'll still have your problem.

I removed it all off the plug. It’s the only place I have seen what is it cause from?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed it all off the plug. It’s the only place I have seen what is it cause from?
It's an invasive species of algae that's notoriously hard to get rid of (if you even left a microscopic piece on there, it will grow back). Also try to keep an eye out in case any pieces dislodged before you removed them. Like every other type of pest, it hitchhikes in on coral frags (and liverock for that matter). People like to think nutrients play a large role in proliferation but if there's enough nutrients for coral to grow, there's enough for algae. In my book nutrients only somewhat influence the speed of pest algae growth, it'll still be there if you go ULNS. I'd rather have bubble than caulerpa serrulata that pretty much nothing will touch. Fish will pick at bubble (rarely yellow tangs, red sea sailfin much more often, good luck having a tank big enough for that fish, though).

Edit: I've had 2 emeralds that never touched the stuff, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back