What happened to my anenome?

newbie2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A newbie just at 1 year. 32 gallon tank, anenome was one of first inhabitants, 11 months ago. Two pics from yesterday. I noticed a detail by the foot - looks like a worm? This morning, nem is gone - no residue, no blob, nothing, ... like it climbed out of the tank. My question is, could a worm do this? That fast? Corals, shrimp, snails and fish all seem fine. Where did the nem go?

nem_foot.jpg fullsize_nem.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bristleworm and no it wouldn’t harm your anemone. It probably just moved somewhere you can’t see. It appears to be desperate for more light by the way it’s stretching. You likely need to upgrade your lighting.

OP
OP
N

newbie2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the observation on the light. Our tank is a 32 gallon biocube and the nem is no longer an occupant. We even picked up the rock and the nem is gone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely shrunk into a hole or crevass in your rockwork. A healthy looking nem like that does not just disappear overnight.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITs probably under a rock in a gelatinous blob decaying. Does your water smell? Thats a bristle worm and poses no threat to a nem.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITs probably under a rock in a gelatinous blob decaying. Does your water smell? Thats a bristle worm and poses no threat to a nem.
Why would you think it's decaying? No indication of that in the pic provided.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you think it's decaying? No indication of that in the pic provided.
Because he says it is gone without a trace. A nem can hide and start to decay in hours. The pic is previous.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the observation on the light. Our tank is a 32 gallon biocube and the nem is no longer an occupant. We even picked up the rock and the nem is gone.
They can shrink shockingly small. It’s in there somewhere. It’s possible it somehow got back into the back chambers if you haven’t checked there.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because he says it is gone without a trace. A nem can hide and start to decay in hours. The pic is previous.
It does not happen quite that fast and their will be signs of poor health before it gets to that point.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not happen quite that fast and their will be signs of poor health before it gets to that point.
I am inclined to agree, but stranger things have happened. At a minimum its shriveled up in the tank somewhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back