What is eating my mushrooms??

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to discover that one of my discooma mushrooms is completely gone, and I am trying to identify the culprit. I have a pair of clownfish, a tailspot blenny, and a Clean Up Crew (trochus snails, astraea snails, nassarius snails, red and blue-legged hermit crabs). Recently, I posted a thread here as I found a small worm, which people identified as a bristle worm. However, it has grown quite big now (I'm not sure whether it is the same one). Could it be possible that the worm ate the mushroom? I'm trying to find whether it is floating somewhere, but cannot locate it.

20240131_142142.jpg 20240220_082638.jpg 20240209_170048.jpg

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to missing mushrooms, the most likely culprit is Hobbits. Have you added any to your tank recently?

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to missing mushrooms, the most likely culprit is Hobbits. Have you added any to your tank recently?
No, the tank had no new additions since last 5 weeks. Therefore, I am quite surprised that suddenly disappeared overnight.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say that bristle worms are harmless, but there are definitely reports of them eating mushrooms. I don't like them in my tanks. I would look at getting rid of them.

Here is an example

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say that bristle worms are harmless, but there are definitely reports of them eating mushrooms. I don't like them in my tanks. I would look at getting rid of them.

Here is an example
Yeah, I recently noticed it walking around the tank and scavenging. I don't mind as long as they're not touching corals. However giving the recent actions I will have to look at night whether the worm is interested in corals. Thanks!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 10,000 Species of Bristle Worms, add counting. You may have a Bristle Clam Worm and they will eat some Corals and even sleeping fish. Especially if Clams aren’t available. I would try and trap or catch that particular worm.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 10,000 Species of Bristle Worms, add counting. You may have a Bristle Clam Worm and they will eat some Corals and even sleeping fish. Especially if Clams aren’t available. I would try and trap or catch that particular worm.
No problem, thank you for your help! I will attempt to catch it. It is usually coming when it's feeding time. Alternatively, I believe I might be able to catch it during the night time.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be free floating now somewhere. If it gets detached it will float until it finds a new resting spot which sometimes is definitely not somewhere ypu can see it. How big is your tank?
It's 13.5 gallons. It wasn't very big mushroom, so if it shrank to detach and float I may not be able to locate it. I was thinking about checking the Chambers to see if it's inside.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how well they work, but you can get a bristle worm trap. I've never used one, but I have used this site before and it's good.

Traps

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shroom is back. Suddenly appeared in a slightly different place.

Attachments

• 20240220_104819.jpg
    20240220_104819.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 14

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back