What happened to my clam?

Udle42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day it was fine the next morning not. I added a new Powder brown tang but I have never seen him nip at anything but rocks. I also have a algae blenny but he has never bothered it either. My controller says all my levels stayed normal. I was slightly moved from its original spot. I am at a loss here.

IMAG0151.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day it was fine the next morning not. I added a new Powder brown tang but I have never seen him nip at anything but rocks. I also have a algae blenny but he has never bothered it either. My controller says all my levels stayed normal. I was slightly moved from its original spot. I am at a loss here.

IMAG0151.jpg IMAG0149.jpg

When you moved the Clam was it's foot attached to the bottom? If it was attached and you tore it when you moved it that may be your issue? Or it was doomed before you got it? Did it respond to waving your hand over it by closing up?? If not it may have already been compromised. New tanks and Clams are a crap shoot IMO and do better in a well established tank. JMO
Bill

OP
OP
U

Udle42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was up for 3 years befor I got it. The clam has been in the tank for a month or so. It was doing great. This morning it was detached and on its side. It was attached the day befor.
IMAG0836.jpg

When you moved the Clam was it's foot attached to the bottom? If it was attached and you tore it when you moved it that may be your issue? Or it was doomed before you got it? Did it respond to waving your hand over it by closing up?? If not it may have already been compromised. New tanks and Clams are a crap shoot IMO and do better in a well established tank. JMO
Bill

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clams do this from time to time, no apparent reason, on day happy, the next day a shell, i have had several do that to me... small ones tend to be more senstive...... i have given up on clams (for the time being). unfortunalety unless some else says otherwise, its a goner, never seen one recover from that, might as well pull it out so it doesnt release stuff into your tank....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had the same thing happen. Had a clam for a year or two, happy one day, and the next dead. :(

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the statements made and was unaware the tank was 3 years old, But the Fact you moved the clam after it had been in the same place for months could be that it's foot was attached and that must be considered IMO
Bill

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone with a 15" clam told me that his secret was to keep the water not super clean .. clams are filter feeders and guess do better with water slightly "dirty"

OP
OP
U

Udle42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the statements made and was unaware the tank was 3 years old, But the Fact you moved the clam after it had been in the same place for months could be that it's foot was attached and that must be considered IMO
Bill

Sorry, Bill, that was a typo in my original message. I meant to say "It was moved from its original spot". I did not move it. I think once it died my melanurus wrasse might have picked at it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back