What happens to corals no one wants??

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frag things and put it in the garbage..

Awkward Sewing Bee GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

I want a simple colt coral.. not easy to find local.. or maybe everyone else is putting them in the garbage too

But to answer your questions, they put them in bags as freebies?
I felt really bad lopping a hand sized nepthia that was a shade tree in my tank. Really hard for me to mount something that sized and give away, if I could find a taker.

It grew back pretty quick....I treat it like chaeto now, just keep enough around so I don't have to replace it.

giorgiosreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple monti cap grows too big and it takes up more horizontal room than any of my other corals. With a small tank i have to be deliberate about space. I fragged it and was able to sell a couple pieces for just $10 (large frags) but no interest. I end up just breaking off the excess and throwing it away. :(

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once took a tiny piece of xenia and made coral jerky out of it during a very hot day on some concrete lol

For reference, xenia was a nuisance in the tank I took the clipping from. I was tempted to season it and see how it tasted haha

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the thought of killing or throwing away coral, but I have no idea what to do with my forest of Kenya trees. The main one just keeps dropping babies; I've tried slapping them on frag plates and taking them to an lfs but even the lfs's don't really want them. I don't have a big tank or a sump, otherwise I'd sump 'em. I just wanna free the corals to a good home

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red xenia... so far it grows slow and hasn't spread around the tank. I also have the normal red sea/lavender looking pulsing xenia.... it grows fast and hops around if conditions are ideal.

I guess that is why the red is less available.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always offer them up on my local club forum to folks who posted about just starting their first tank.

One of the local guys posted a whole ton of common but pretty zoas for dirt cheap, and it was enough for me to start a zoa garden tank. I got like 12 10+ polyp frags for $5-10. Launched a whole sub thread of my hobby!

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People join the hobby wanting high end. Nobody starts with a no namer anything, lol, ridiculous...."what's it called ? "

I heard if corals flushed down the toilet,

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People join the hobby wanting high end. Nobody starts with a no namer anything, lol, ridiculous...."what's it called ? "

I heard if corals flushed down the toilet,
To be fair, I think that people are way more savvy about not adding corals that have the tendency to become invasive, which overall, is probably good for everyone. I had a strain of birds nest back in the late 90s that would grow under almost any circumstances. And it spread in a tank like wildfire. Cool until it's not.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya.. I saw someone call toadstool a weed on facebook in a not nice way... made me sad. I like my toadstools... why do they have to call my pretty flowers weeds :loudly-crying-face: our hobby has some snobbery to it. It isn't like I am incapable of growing acro's...I have a few left, one huge! I just rather grow some weeds I guess...
It's OK. Things like this move in a pendulum. Remember several years ago when mushrooms were everything?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it depends on the vendor. Some probably just hold on to it until someone wants it, and some probably pop 'em in the calcium reactor. Jumping on the "weed coral" wagon, it's depressing how the market can convince people that the only coral worth having is the tiny rainbow booger that needs an SPS guru to stay alive. In my opinion, the most beautiful corals on the market are green RFAs, xenia, GSP and sarcophyton leathers, all of which are easy and cheap. I'm seeing more of these on the market and in tanks, and it gives me hope for a reefing revival.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it depends on the vendor. Some probably just hold on to it until someone wants it, and some probably pop 'em in the calcium reactor. Jumping on the "weed coral" wagon, it's depressing how the market can convince people that the only coral worth having is the tiny rainbow booger that needs an SPS guru to stay alive. In my opinion, the most beautiful corals on the market are green RFAs, xenia, GSP and sarcophyton leathers, all of which are easy and cheap. I'm seeing more of these on the market and in tanks, and it gives me hope for a reefing revival.
My neon green toadstool draws guests to the aquarium from across the room!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who needs some Xenia !!! lol

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearing the "throwing coral away" point with frogspawn and green stylo, and given that my tank has some level of nearly every pest know to reefing, I don't know who would want my frags.

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearing the "throwing coral away" point with frogspawn and green stylo, and given that my tank has some level of nearly every pest know to reefing, I don't know who would want my frags.
Frogspawns are easily $40-$50 a head....surprised no one wants them. Most pest can be removed?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back