The one coral you can't have seem to keep.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discussion thread based around a chat I had a with a guy in LFS.
He's traditionally an SPS guy & showed me his obviously well cared for tank with grown out acro colonies.
I asked about the faded patch at bottom.
His response "oh that's gsp.i wanted a mat of it but I cannot ever get it to take off or colour"

This got me thinking about my own tank & the thorn in my side-torch corals.
No matter what I do they never thrive & remain short, chubby tented shadows of what I saw flowing in store while hammers & other LPS have taken off & SPS shows good growth & colour.
Maybe some things aren't meant to be.

What's the one coral that just doesn't seem to work for you guys?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down Gonis! Look great for a couple months then magically stop extending and slowly die off. I’ve tried everything I can think of including dosing manganese.

I used to have the same issue you did with torches, but tried again a year later and now have beautiful torches flowing in my tank. Think it’s just tank maturity and parameter stability you are searching for. I let my alk drop when I took my kalk stirrer offline for a week and everything let me know they were mad!

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not I really struggle with mushrooms. I currently have four ( one just split las month) but have added more than double that. I have thriving soft corals, lps and sps. The tank is coming up on two and a half years.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hands down Gonis! Look great for a couple months then magically stop extending and slowly die off. I’ve tried everything I can think of including dosing manganese.

I used to have the same issue you did with torches, but tried again a year later and now have beautiful torches flowing in my tank. Think it’s just tank maturity and parameter stability you are searching for. I let my alk drop when I took my kalk stirrer offline for a week and everything let me know they were mad!
Just my two cents, dosing live phyto helps a ton with gonis if you are having troubles.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Believe it or not I really struggle with mushrooms. I currently have four ( one just split las month) but have added more than double that. I have thriving soft corals, lps and sps. The tank is coming up on two and a half years.
I'm in the same boat with certain types. Some rhodactis don't like my 10 frag tank for some reason. The discosoma do fine and some yuma, but I've had multiple rhodactis melt.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches, goni, lobo in the order of how fast I kill them torches go within days lobos a year or two then poof gone. Goni weeks to months then they wither away.
For years I could not grow gsp but now that the tank is older (8ish years) it's starting to cover the back wall. I don't get it I just accept it.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate to his GSP issues. I used to want to grow it on my bare bottom so it would look like grass. Could never get it to grow. Some say it was a blessing but I don’t know.
Brain corals also for me.

Corey

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery.they don't die, don't have pests(all dipped & inspected at night) some are even splitting new heads.
They just look.....rubbish
ICP fine(iodine only advisory-rectified) no huge swings.

Odd.
I'll just go with it:face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Attachments

• PXL_20240210_172135069.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240210_172135069.MP.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed a GSP coral. My LFS said it was easy to grow in a new aquarium. Died with in a week
I found with gsp (zoa's too) that I only got good growth when placed on rock.on plugs & frag disks neither did well oddly.

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found with gsp (zoa's too) that I only got good growth when placed on rock.on plugs & frag disks neither did well oddly.
I kept it on the plug because I was nervous of hurting it if I tried removing it, lol. Now I am less nervous and I think I am able too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back