What has caused this

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterEde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2021
Messages
2,625
Reaction score
2,194
Location
Adelaide, South Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is now 2 years old. Ive struggled with nitrate for ages but never had algae like this.
My nitrates have been as high as 60ppm but for 6 months plus have managed to get it to around 20ppm
Phosphate is at .04.
I am dosing 16ml of ethanol daily.
I feed once a day.
Tank does get afternoon sun.
Fish are all healthy
Notice gsp has been pretty closed up for sometime



20260828_115517.jpg

20260828_115556.jpg
 
I had persistant algae like that. Dosing pods and phyto really helped along with manual removal during water changes.
Same here I had a really bad hair algae outbreak that would keep coming back and only got rid of it until I added pods and did a ton of manual removal
 
With that much algae, IMO the nitrates are higher than what the test shows. One thing we can't test for is dissolved organics, if the nitrates up to 60 it gives me an impression that dissolved organics level is likely very high as well, feeding the algae. I would perform water changes and remove manually and keep going until its gone.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new