What if we could 3D print our aquascape?

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's exciting to see where this hobby is going with all the new technologies being implemented. We're seeing more automation, more aquaculture, and better equipment. Despite these advancements, we're also seeing setbacks, such as the closing of fisheries and export bans.

Here we use 3D printing to make templates for building some of our equipment.

3D printing may have a place in aquaculture. It could be used to mass produce various size shells for hermit crabs, even species specific shells that are hard to source. Anyone interested in aquaculturing hermit crabs for clean up crews will have to source shells that are cheap enough to be competitive with wild caught hermit crabs. 3D printing might be a solution. Some basic designs, and intricate ornamental designs exist on sites like thingiverse already, but new shells would likely need to be designed for our use.

hermit castle.PNG

There are a few materials that these shells could be produced from. Resins, ABS plastic, ceramics, and PLA plastic. PLA is biodegradable, but I'm not sure if it is the same as biopellet plastics. Wouldn't that be cool if your hermit crabs reduced nitrates too? Ceramics are probably the most practical material to make shells from, since they're unlikely to float. Unfortunately ceramics don't appear to be developed enough yet for such fine detailed printing. Maybe in a few years we'll see this as a viable option.

Another application I think will be pretty important in the future is printing our rock structures. Perhaps someday our aquascapes will be designed on a computer first, and shipped to us in modular sections that assemble like a puzzle. We can even 3D scan natural rock to get a digital copy, which we can then print copies from. Another bonus with ceramic rock is that the high temperatures it's fired at will burn off any organics in the mixture, resulting in highly porous ceramic that water can pass through. This might make ceramic rock better than natural rock for filtration, and sustainability. A company could travel to the source country, scan a selection of premium rocks, and digitally export those rocks to be printed anywhere in the world.

44339298_486020838548285_7499795592181186560_n.jpg

The days of wild harvested rock may be coming to an end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I will take natural rock that was in the ocean every time but that’s just me. 3D printers are amazing though.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing an article a while back of a house built in Miami (out of concrete) with a giant 3D printer. If there was a way to use concrete or a DIY Rock mix in a 3D printer I'd be game for that.

Juskr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am intrigued by the idea of 3d printed aquascapes. I could see tank manufactures offering unique tank sepecific scapes for different coral types, desired flow patterns, etc. Instead of the generic overflow box, a rock pattern with frag plug openings could wrap around the overflow creating additional usable space while hiding the overflow.

That being said, I could see 3d printed scapes being very costly at first and likely a special order.

I see 3d printed scapes with unlimited potential, dependent on interest from consumers.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is you can do all that with natural rock. The only reason to print rock would be to save on pulling rock from the ocean but there are people that make man made rock and put it in the ocean for x amount of years then pull it out which i’m guessing is cheaper and easier to do. There are also rocks that come from quarrys that use to be ocean. I could see some small sales and cool look rocks maybe 3D printed but not taking over the market.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm a bit old school and prefer naturally collected rock, but I know it's a selfish preference.
I'm all for seeing anything that helps sustain the hobby in a responsible manner, and already a lot of man made rock has come a long way, add 3d printing and I do see some positive advantages as well as a positive forward move.

Imagine a cool pillar or rock structure that is solid and requires no rods or adhesives, and pest free.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely an interesting idea. I think printing in ceramic and then firing it would work too, given the proper printer, print nozzle and setup.
To @Reef-junky 's point though, 3D printing the rock would have to be compelling enough to overcome the easy of just using real rock or even some of the great reef-rock products already on the market.

I could see it being an attractive idea for larger reef scapes such as those found in places like public aquariums. Having the 3D printed reefscape be designed and printed in modular pieces, as you suggested, would make it super easy to tear down a display for cleaning or maintenance and then put it back together in the exact same way. Something that would be more difficult to do with real rock.

Last edited:

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be cool to see 3D printed shelf pieces to help aquascape with built-up base rock. Ceramic and kiln fired would be my preference, but a reef safe plastic might be okay, depending on the look.

I've used 3D printed parts in aerospace R&D testing. Pretty cool stuff.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can make any shape I want from plaster or limestone. It won't have the fine details of a 3d printer but anything turns into a purple lump in a few weeks anyway. 3d printers are awesome but just not the right tool for aquascaping.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would totally use 3D printed aqua scraping! I’m all for it. As long as the material can still function as filtration like the ceramic that was mentioned. I know next to nothing about 3D printing but turn me loose and I’d have a Yoda shaped rock covered in green star polyps. Don’t get me wrong. I love a natural looking reef tank. I am, however, completely open to the creative aqua sculpting 3D printing could functionally allow.

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is by far the best thing ive seen and heard of in a while! I love the concept! Now if only i can get my hands on a 3d printer for myself lol.....nice article man!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article, I'd love to see 3d printing used for aquascapes, especially modular ones that could be mixed and matched to customize. Bonus if they provide as much biofiltration as live rock!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting ! So you canactually use a clay base based materials? what is the consistency of this stuff? Wow

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I would have not liked the idea. I did not like the painted rock or anything unnatural but it keeps getting nicer. The magnetic frag racks that look like rock or carib sea makes the shape rock it looks great. That being said i think 3d printed could be great. As stated above premium peices of rock could be mas produced.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back