What is a Reef Tank to you???

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well it had me thinking, when does a fish tank or "fowlr" become a reef tank??? Is it 1 coral? 5 corals? Or more?? I've kept saltwater tanks for nearly half my life and while most were fowlr tanks, I did have a few softies in them but never considered it a Reef Tank...What are your thoughts?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the minute your first coral goes in, no matter the type, because now you have to start worrying about water parameters, light and flow to a level you don't have to worry about with just fish. I just added my first corals (two small gorgonians) and those guys are stressing me out. My fish don't stress me out. LOL. Can you call it a reef tank if the corals don't actually exist on a reef... Maybe not so I would say "coral tank". Haha.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. According to merriam-webster dictionary a reef is defined as a chain of rocks or coral or a ridge of sand at or near the surface of water.

Theoretically that's pretty much any salt water tank that has sand or rocks or coral in it lol

For current aquarists, I would think that most would define it as an aquarium that has 1 or more corals in it. This is also how I would view it.

Food for though, what about macro algae tanks? What about tanks with sponges?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. According to merriam-webster dictionary a reef is defined as a chain of rocks or coral or a ridge of sand at or near the surface of water.

Theoretically that's pretty much any salt water tank that has sand or rocks or coral in it lol

For current aquarists, I would think that most would define it as an aquarium that has 1 or more corals in it. This is also how I would view it.

Food for though, what about macro algae tanks? What about tanks with sponges?
You make a good point. Technically there are reefs out there that don't have coral. Like an oyster reef. I didn't think rock or sand alone constituted a reef but if the dictionary says so then we're all running reef tanks. Haha. I would classify macroalgae setups as algae tanks but I guess if you have them growing out of a wall of rocks then it's still a reef tank. :) I would love to do a macroalgae tank. They're beautiful!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a piece of the ocean within your home displaying elements of the reef such as live coral, fish, shrimp, crabs and so forth which make up occupants of the ocean.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is in the eye of the beholder for the most part. Personally i dont consider a couple leathers in a fowlr tank a reef tank for example just because for the most part it can still be treated as a fowlr in most regards. However again if someone calls that a reef tank i certainly wont argue with that

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is in the eye of the beholder for the most part. Personally i dont consider a couple leathers in a fowlr tank a reef tank for example just because for the most part it can still be treated as a fowlr in most regards. However again if someone calls that a reef tank i certainly wont argue with that
You mean my rock with two thumb sized gorgonian frags isn't a reef? How about the start of a reef? Haha

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back