What is consuming my alk? precipitation or algae?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KonradTO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2021
Messages
1,260
Reaction score
667
Location
Germany
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
(sorry for the double thread but I wanted to separate questions about micro and alk).
I noticed that my 32g tank with macro only is consuming alk quite quickly. Alkalinity drops from 11 dkH to 7dkH in around 10 days. I don't have calcium based algae other than coralline, which is growing steadily but not like wildfire.
What could be consuming alkalinity? Last time I measured ph few weeks ago was around 7.7 after dosing sodium carbonate. Ca is within normal ranges and Mg is above 1500 ppm.
Could precipitation be the problem?
 
Algae does not consume alkalinity, unless it is a calcifying type such as halimeda.

Coralline can consume a lot (2 dKH in a soft coral tank, for example).

Rising nitrate depletes alk, as will many organisms (snails, urchins, etc.). Could be abiotic precipitation too.
 
Coralline can consume a lot (2 dKH in a soft coral tank, for example).
Rising nitrate depletes alk, as will many organisms (snails, urchins, etc.). Could be abiotic precipitation too.
I have coralline and snails, but I am not sure if this 0.3 dkH/day is a normal rate of consumption in a tank like mine.. I will check if there is any sign of precipitation
 
I have coralline and snails, but I am not sure if this 0.3 dkH/day is a normal rate of consumption in a tank like mine.. I will check if there is any sign of precipitation
That's a reasonable rate for most any tank. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new